Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

16 May 2022

Greetings,
    I hope your week went well. Mine was crazy busy with the day job as well as working to get a few things done in the shop. Bed project is still in the shop and the plan this week is to get it fully assembled and then apply the color to it. I did manage to get a couple of sandwich boards and a cutting board made, finished, and delivered this week. Here's the pics for proof: Black Gum is in these boards, plus the other various native woods.
    black_gum_cutting_board1.jpg

black_gum_cutting_board2.jpg

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Finished dust collection closet by installing LED strip lighting on the two long walls mounted to flat boards at 45 degrees as "crown" molding. Spent time on the motor starter wiring to get the run lights working as I wanted. Green light for run (I know that is backwards). Red light runs sequenced to be on with TDR that prevents stop button from working for 15 minutes after start, i.e., red light for 15 minutes. Emergency stop works any time. Kinda wishing I would have used a separate 120 control circuit instead of tapping the 240v supplies, but it works except for a remote. Still working on that idea.

Got the duct work from BlastGate Friday. FYI, BlastGate has been great to work with. Unboxed on Sunday and put together a few pieces. Start full installation today.

As Rocky as WestPenn says, "Its gonna be huge!" - my first DC system.

Venting inside for convenience. Purchased filters through Clearvue.
    Last edited by Eugene Dixon; 05-16-2022 at 9:13 AM.

Beautiful work, Dennis!

This past week involved some lumberjacking to take down two more trees that were not long for the world. One of them was actually in an inconvenient place relative to access to the back yard, too. Getting the stump out for that one took some real creativity with the Big Orange Power Tool, but I got the job done. I also started thinking a little about how things might get arranged in the new shop building once it's up and ready...that will be a work in progress that will likely fluctuate a whole bunch between now and whenever. Also still waiting on the permit.

Odd jobs this week I suspect...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've been working on a shadow case for a pocket watch, much like one I built for my wife last year as a Christmas gift collaboration with her father. This one could have been completed weeks ago, but with interruptions and other priorities, I'm only now getting there.

The recipient of this case wants a very dark finish. Some time ago, I sent a sample of ebonized walnut, which he approved. Last weekend I did the ebonizing of the project with an iron acetate solution, and during the week I applied coats of shellac. This weekend I installed rare earth magnets to hold the front and back together--since this case can be viewed from all sides, the fasteners are hidden. Also installed the case's brass feet. Mostly what remains now is to get the finish looking right and put it all together for the final time.

Wednesday of last week, the church in which I grew up held a sale/auction of the stained glass windows and other items taken out during a renovation that took place last year. I made the three-hour trip and bought one of the windows had been in one of the external doors, as well as a number of loose panes from larger windows that hadn't come out intact. Those will all become part of future projects.
    Chuck Taylor

We vacationed in the Chattanooga, Tennessee area last week, so no shop time. The weather was great all week and we got to visit a lot of historic sites which I enjoyed greatly. This week we'll begin the construction of a deck at our home, so nt real shop time in the future, but at least I be working with wood.

Lisa, glad you are back.

I dug up the water line and replaced the old part of it at the new house, and the town guys got the water valve turned on. That took about a full day, since it involved 12 feet of trench from 3 to 5 feet deep and then tunneling under a 5 foot wide concrete porch. I put in the first new window in the house, and my sister came up on Saturday and helped me dig up the vegetable garden area and plant some of it. There are now 5 beds between 36 and 40 feet long and 2' wide. I also completed a banjo neck for someone, it has been in the shop for about a month being worked on when I'm here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

F20CB2DA-52BB-4FE6-AAEC-D63E965AE7C1.jpg94843170-C142-4E44-AF13-36EFE96A7632.jpg70FAED0D-5C95-401B-ABDE-88C8F377557B.jpgSpent Saturday and Sunday milling some red oak.

The big stack is for the tree owner, 6/4 thick. He still has to sticker it outside.

The small stack is for me…….Sunburned, tired, but smiling….Rod

Nice haul Rod...RO is my second favorite wood (after cherry).

We had several of Mary's graduating Midwifery students and their families over on Friday for a hand blessing ceremony. A little nervous about having a bunch of strangers over, but Mary reminded me that everyone attending graduation, including family members, had to have proof of vaccination. It was a beautiful day/evening weather wise, and our Azaleas and lilacs were in full bloom (way late this year, I guess they waited for the occasion). We had the ceremony, dinner and dessert for a nice evening.

Spent most of the week getting ready for that, cleaning and getting the yard all spiffed up. So no real time in the shop.

I did catch a break. I've mentioned that the new Cafe Induction range we ordered last July as part of our kitchen remodel wasn't supposed to be available until September. Well, I got in the habit of periodically doing a search for the model in case it happened to become available from some other source. On Thursday, I hit pay dirt as best buy showed the range as available. I placed the order and they are delivering it tomorrow morning. I won't be completely convinced until it is actually here, but they confirmed the delivery time tonight, so it looks promising. Some accessories are still on B/O, but that's no big deal.

Next two projects are finishing the last hallway redo, and redoing the enclosure around our blueberry plants. The original enclosure was a bit of a kludge. Last year a bird managed to squeeze its way into the enclosure where it got trapped. We noticed it flapping around in there and let it out, but not before it had eaten half the berries. So time to do a better job.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I worked on developing the spider's power plant and social area. I'm thinking of something like a multi story condo for the abdomen.

624D4B60-6CB9-40F2-8868-E60AD7DF02AF_1_201_a.jpg nothings glued up yet, just playing around. 6DD9C1F1-8091-45A6-B74C-4B9A636223D4_1_201_a.jpg also worked on some metal pinchers

That spider is pretty cool. And time consuming I’m sure.
    The Plane Anarchist

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    I've been working on a shadow case for a pocket watch, much like one I built for my wife last year as a Christmas gift collaboration with her father. This one could have been completed weeks ago, but with interruptions and other priorities, I'm only now getting there.

The recipient of this case wants a very dark finish. Some time ago, I sent a sample of ebonized walnut, which he approved. Last weekend I did the ebonizing of the project with an iron acetate solution, and during the week I applied coats of shellac. This weekend I installed rare earth magnets to hold the front and back together--since this case can be viewed from all sides, the fasteners are hidden. Also installed the case's brass feet. Mostly what remains now is to get the finish looking right and put it all together for the final time.

Wednesday of last week, the church in which I grew up held a sale/auction of the stained glass windows and other items taken out during a renovation that took place last year. I made the three-hour trip and bought one of the windows had been in one of the external doors, as well as a number of loose panes from larger windows that hadn't come out intact. Those will all become part of future projects.
    Roll Tide Charles. 3 1/2 months till kickoff 2022
    Tim in Hill Country of Texas

That spider is out of this world awesome. The cutting boards are pretty sweet and that's a nice score on lumber!