Thread: Window a/c in casement window??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Window a/c in casement window??

I have casement windows (Anderson) (2'w 4'h)..
    Need to install a 5000btu window a/c.
    Going to remove sash, make 3/4 plywood to fit on inside with a hole cut for the a/c unit.
    Any suggestions on how to make outside weatherproof and look decent ??
    Do not want to damage the vinyl, etc..

Any help appreciated.
    Thanks.

Blog Entries
    I might think of trying Plexiglass and clear silicone caulk rather than plywood?
    Best Regards, Maurice

The clear plastic is a good idea, but you should use polycarbonate (Lexan) which won't crack. PVC lumber and trim are readily available in home store to make a surrounding framework. And, assuming you would remove this setup for your colder season I would use closed cell foam for sealing instead of caulk.

It would take very heavy plexiglass or lexan to support the a/c...
    The top of the a/c wants to go push out and the bottom wants to push in..
    Last edited by Ed Aumiller; 05-16-2022 at 8:38 AM.

Since it sounds like you are eliminating the glass entirely, consider building a thin "wall" rather than just using a single panel. It will better support the weight of the AC unit and you can also insulate hollow areas with foam board insulation. The outside layer should be a weatherproof panel or if a wood material, be properly primed and painted. Provisions for flashing to guide water runoff are also advised. The thin wall can be a "sandwich" with the whole window frame defining the core thickness.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Could you install a mini-split instead? Just some holes for refrigerant tubing and power.

Installing it through the wall might well be easier.

Blog Entries
    I agree with John Ziebron about Lexan as it has replaced Plexiglass and is superior. Window units are a drag, but sometimes they are the cooling solution that can happen quickly and relatively cheaply (in the short term).
    Best Regards, Maurice

I lived in a house with a boiler and casement windows for many years so the only option at that time was window A/C units which were only put in for the summer. I made shelves that sat on the bottom of the window opening with the A/C unit then sitting on the shelf. A lower lip on the front bottom of the shelf prevented it from moving out when you slid the unit on it. The part of the shelf extending outside had a couple of triangles underneath to brace it up since the bulk of the weight is hanging out there. The Lexan piece was the same size as the screen with a cutout at the bottom to account for the A/C unit. I used the same threaded holes that held the screen to hold the plastic piece. Closed cell foam was used in places where there were gaps.

Blog Entries
    I imagine something like John did for the Lexan, With clear only above the unit, You could make a short, "summer" sash, and even use insulated glass.
    I have one of mine in already this year, and another one still to do. Hopefully a two zone mini-split is in our future.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I used one of the casement window A/C units for years. I opened the window all the way, built a wood frame to hold the unit with some plexiglass as fill in above. I then taped the seal between my frame and the sliding window. It worked great for the 10+ years I used it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frigidai...22SE/312549549