Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Window a/c in casement window??

Have you considered mounting an AC through the wall instead of through the window. If you go this route and decide to mount it higher on the wall make sure you make allowance the roof eave before you cut the hole! (ARGH!!!)

I have installed 2 mini-splits in my home. One is a 12K unit in the great room. The second is a 3 head unit for the 3 bedrooms. The efficiency gain that Bill quoted seems quite low to me but I purchased top of the line Fujitsu and Panasonic mini splits with top end SEER ratings. Cutting a hole in the wall to install a through the wall AC was a heck of a lot easier than the mini-splits.

There are also the portable air conditioners that exhaust the hot air through a flexible duct:
    portable-air-conditioner.jpg

That might be a much easier way to put an AC in a casement window and have it easy to remove when summer is over with. I think the efficiency is usually quite low on this design???

Part of the impetus that favors mini splits is that they are usually not just AC...they also provide very efficient heating, too. and many can handle outside temps as low as -5ºF.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It seems almost unbelieveable, but we're cooling over 7,000 sq. ft. with an 18,000 btu mini split. Our house is kind of a sprawling combination of additons over the years. For years, we just had two heat pumps. When my now 106 year old Mother moved in with us, I converted one corner into a suite for her, and put in the mini split.

At first, I thought she would want it warmer than we did, but it's been the opposite.

To make a long story short, we keep the mini split running at 69 degrees. Since hot weather just started getting here, I put a fan to circulate the air into the living space of the old part where we live. It kept it even when the temps got into the 90's.

I went under the house, and changed a couple of flex ducts so we can keep one of the heat pumps running fan only, and circulate it around the rest of the house. It's 95 here today, and there has been no real rise inside the house.

The house is super insulated, but not especially tight.

Window units NEVER give Db ratings. A lot do not mention seer numbers either.
    Bill D