Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to replace Syder/Coupler on Supermax 16/32>?

Sorry I've not responded sooner, busy with remodeling a laundry room and kitchen.

I would pry the two hubs apart, take the spider out and count the legs, looks to be three. While the spider is out measure the thickness of the leg and the outside diameter of the spider and then match it up with a like spider from McMaster. If the spider is too far gone to get the O.D. just use the O.D. of the hub.

I don't see a need to go to a larger coupling, some engineer already put the proper sized one in the machine. How long have you had the machine, and how much do you use it? A year, two or more and if the coupling just took a dump now, I don't think that's too bad.

Oh, and the hubs don't look bad enough to be spending a bunch on replacing them.

My bad, just looked at the pictures on a larger screen and I see you can't "just pry the hubs apart".
    I think you'll have to remove either the motor or the other shaft so you can measure and replace the spider.

Or get a precise measurement of each shaft diameter, rounded up or down to the nearest metric or fractional size, and key size then order a complete replacement coupling.
    Last edited by Jerry Bruette; 05-19-2022 at 4:28 PM. Reason: Added info
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Update on this...
    Laguna has been heard from. Apparantly incorrect assembly of the coupler/spider was a "thing" in the past, since rectified. I got one of the ones where it was slapped on....

Got exact replacement spider and coupler halves from Grainger. Shipped in one day.
    Spider replacement is no problem.
    The problem is, how to replace the couplers and get the two shafts lined up? Per Laguna, the drum head MUST be removed to do this, but it's a head scratcher to them on how to get the two shafts lined up perfectly on reassembly. Like I said previously, the two existing couplers are banged (from dozens of hours of metal to metal contact) up enough to where I don't think they're going to "mate" as intended with the replacement spider. They're getting replaced.

Do you have a manual for the machine? Would coupling replacement be covered in the manual?

Looking at your pictures I think you could remove the motor and then remove the drum coupling half without removing the drum. Could you clean the machine and scribe around any parts that have to be removed and then replace them while lining up the scribe marks? You could use a short straight edge to line up the coupling halves by checking at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock. A piece of metal banding or any other short, thin piece of metal could be used as a straight edge.

I have a hard time believing that the manufacturer can't give any good advice on how to replace the coupling.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

You may need to slide either the motor or drum to create enough clearance to remove/replace each coupler half. If that results in the alignment of the shafts changing, as Jerry said, you can use a short straightedge to check shaft alignment. The whole point of a flexible coupler is to allow the shafts to NOT be "perfectly" aligned - it will have some specs on how much mis-alignment can be tolerated in each measurement.

I would think unless there is a major engineering fail the motor and drum should be level with each other and squaring and aligning side to side being the only challenge. Even then that shouldn't be an issue. Leave the motor base bolts loose and rotate the drum while the coupler halves and spider are fully engaged. It should self center. As I said if the vertical alignment isn't spot on they did a horrible job in designing this. Once you rotate it several times you should be able to tighten the motor base down. It's should go smoothly. You don't want excessive misalignment. That will take the spider out quickly but a small amount of misalignment is acceptable.

6. I am surprised you got a reply from Laguna. I have exactly the same problem with my Supermax 16-32. Mine has less than 10 hours and still doesn't track properly as well as the worn out spider. I've been hassling Laguna for 5 months now. Woodcraft, where I purchased the machine, hasn't been a help either. Both claim they have never heard of either of these problems.
    Can I get the Grainger numbers for the couplers and spider from you. Also any updated information on how the install went, or didn't? Be prepared to become a Laguna repair person if you buy on of these.
    Just a bit of background info to limit replies. I've been working with the Preformax 16-32 for 15 years without problems. I know how to wrap the sandpaper. I know how to feed the machine.