Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to replace Syder/Coupler on Supermax 16/32>?

Don't get too wrapped around the axle with thinking you need precise measurements. They are made in different series for different loads but can easily be told apart with a tape measue. Shat diameter can also be got with a tape measure on the end of the shaft, they are not made in infinite sizes, probably an 1/8" between standard bores. Go to Lovejoys website and look for the dimensions, will be easy to do with a tape measure, done it many times on the factory floor to get a replacement.

Do think you could post some pictures of the coupling hubs and the spider and provide some approximate measurements? If you can do that I'll help you chose which spider you need from McMaster.

Unless your hubs are totally trashed, which I doubt they are, you don't need to replace them. I'll make the assumption that the hubs are keyed to the shafts and if they are don't get too wrapped up about how many setscrews are in each hub. Some manufacturers put only one setscrew in the hub and it's directly one the key, that way you don't booger up the shaft with the second setscrew.

As a woodworker if you can measure the length of a shelf that goes in a cabinet you can make the measurements needed to pick which spider you need. We ain't going to the moon here.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    Do think you could post some pictures of the coupling hubs and the spider and provide some approximate measurements? If you can do that I'll help you chose which spider you need from McMaster.

Unless your hubs are totally trashed, which I doubt they are, you don't need to replace them. I'll make the assumption that the hubs are keyed to the shafts and if they are don't get too wrapped up about how many setscrews are in each hub. Some manufacturers put only one setscrew in the hub and it's directly one the key, that way you don't booger up the shaft with the second setscrew.

As a woodworker if you can measure the length of a shelf that goes in a cabinet you can make the measurements needed to pick which spider you need. We ain't going to the moon here.

https://flic.kr/p/2nmsPY6
    https://flic.kr/p/2nmjZLA
    https://flic.kr/p/2nmqir9
    https://flic.kr/p/2nmjZP1
    https://flic.kr/p/2nmjZQ8
    https://flic.kr/p/2nmjZR5

It's a supermax 16/32. As was when I bought it, I can't get them to return calls or emails to tell me the dimensions. It looks like the spyder has 4 doo hickey thingys, everyone I see on the internet has 3....

"if you can measure the length of a shelf that goes in a cabinet..."

Actually.....

How similar is the Jet 16-32 to the Supermax 16-32? There's lots of Jet Spyders available, what are the chances the two models use the same spyder? A little desperate here, the spyder is beat up enough to cause some significant slop, and I'm in the middle of a batch of drawers that really can't take up space in the shop much longer.

Take it completely apart and measure the shaft sizes and upgrade to a real Lovejoy coupler. This looks like a cheap imitation. Probably why it's failing. When you reinstall make sure the hubs sandwich the spider snugly. Lovejoy couplings last for a long time unless there is severe misalignment. The largest Lovejoy I ever encountered was on a pump drive on a Cat Excavator double pump drive. That was on the back of a 200 HP engine we were replacing. It acually was marked Lovejoy which is extremely rare on anything Caterpillar. They usually require everything to be marked with their branding.
    Last edited by Ronald Blue; 05-19-2022 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Take it completely apart and measure the shaft sizes and upgrade to a real Lovejoy coupler. This looks like a cheap imitation. Probably why it's failing. When you reinstall make sure the hubs sandwich the spider snugly. Lovejoy couplings last for a long time unless there is severe misalignment. The largest Lovejoy I ever encountered was on a pump drive on a Cat Excavator double pump drive. That was on the back of a 200 HP engine we were replacing. It acually was marked Lovejoy which is extremely rare on anything Caterpillar. They usually require everything to be marked with their branding.
    The time I've spent on the lovejoy website seems to indicate that this course of action is best suited for someone who really knows what they're doing with regard to knowing torque, has a good and precise dial gauges, etc. and has a background in machining, motors, and driveshafts.

I'm but a simple hobbyist woodworker and on these types of repairs tend to limit myself to replacing a broken part with another working part that someone else has determined the correct part #.

I'm having the same situation with a Jet Planer, needed to replace the bed roller bearings (all of them), and eventually figured it out by, as you suggested, taking it apart and measuring things. But they're just bed rollers, so the risk of screwing it up is low. This is the one and only drum and motor I have. I'm not so eager to be experimenting with "maybe this is the right size?" on a tool I depend on (more than the planer).

Maybe this speaks to my ignorance of drum sanders, surely I can't be the first person to replace a spider on one, nor the first person to do so with a "real Lovejoy coupler". Hoping that first person exists and has a part # saved in an invoice somewhere.

As a continuation of the Lovejoy Idea, I've (a minute ago) uncovered the specs for the coupling ( think):

5/8 Bore (which I assume is the drum/motor shaft?)
    3.16 by 3/32 key
    L070 (?)
    44 in/lb torque
    14k RPM
    104-212 degree buna n

Which, and this is where I don't quite know what I'm doing, translates to page JW-11 from https://www.lovejoy-inc.com/wp-conte...010catalog.pdf
    "5/8 3/16 x 3/32 — — 10424"
    Which leads me to:
    https://www.motionindustries.com/products/sku/00515603

I mean, for 10$, worth the experiment?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Colson View Post
    As a continuation of the Lovejoy Idea, I've (a minute ago) uncovered the specs for the coupling ( think):

5/8 Bore (which I assume is the drum/motor shaft?)
    3.16 by 3/32 key
    L070 (?)
    44 in/lb torque
    14k RPM
    104-212 degree buna n

Which, and this is where I don't quite know what I'm doing, translates to page JW-11 from https://www.lovejoy-inc.com/wp-conte...010catalog.pdf
    "5/8 3/16 x 3/32 — — 10424"
    Which leads me to:
    https://www.motionindustries.com/products/sku/00515603

I mean, for 10$, worth the experiment?
    Late to the party, as I thought this would have been solved quickly.

If going full-on replacement, I'd suggest the Lovejoy 'J-I-S' option (Jaw In-Shear). The 'spider' is external; you can replace the elastomeric component in future and never touch the coupler halves again. Write the part numbers on a piece of tape and stick it on the bottom side of the sander frame. You'll need only the horsepower and shaft sizes.

The motor horsepower and frame size are easy (aka nameplate data). Frame size will tell you the motor shaft size via NEMA lookup. Just a guess, but I'd suspect yours is probably a NEMA 56C frame...?? (5/8" shaft)

Remove the old coupler halves and measure the drum shaft size (OD) or the drum coupler-half's bore (ID). Motor & drum (driven unit) are usually the same size, but measure just in case. You don't need a micrometer; shafts generally run in 1/8" increments - so as long as you can get within that tolerance you're done.

Take those 3 pieces of info to a Motion Industries or other such local motor shop/bearing supply house, tell them what you want. Viola.

Just FYI - Looking at the Motion Industries link, I think that is for a single coupler half. It doesn't look to be a complete system: 2 halves & elastomer link.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 05-19-2022 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Late to the party, as I thought this would have been solved quickly.

If going full-on replacement, I'd suggest the Lovejoy 'J-I-S' option (Jaw In-Shear). The 'spider' is external; you can replace the elastomeric component in future and never touch the coupler halves again. Write the part numbers on a piece of tape and stick it on the bottom side of the sander frame. You'll need only the horsepower and shaft sizes.

The motor horsepower and frame size are easy (aka nameplate data). Frame size will tell you the motor shaft size via NEMA lookup. Just a guess, but I'd suspect yours is probably a NEMA 56C frame...?? (5/8" shaft)

Remove the old coupler halves and measure the drum shaft size (OD) or the drum coupler-half's bore (ID). Motor & drum (driven unit) are usually the same size, but measure just in case. You don't need a micrometer; shafts generally run in 1/8" increments - so as long as you can get within that tolerance you're done.

Take those 3 pieces of info to a Motion Industries or other such local motor shop/bearing supply house, tell them what you want. Viola.

Just FYI - Looking at the Motion Industries link, I think that is for a single coupler half. It doesn't look to be a complete system: 2 halves & elastomer link.
    I agree with Malcomb that the external 2 piece spider would be a good investment for the future. That style is larger in diameter so you need to make sure that clearance won't be a factor. If you have the shaft sizes the rest is easy. Just look at the series that is approximate and you will be golden. You could get an extra spider if you feel the need. If the guard has plenty of clearance then by all means get the larger Lovejoy in either style.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    ... the external 2 piece spider would be a good investment for the future. ...
    Before someone castigates me for excessive spending of someone else's money, the J-I-S is way more expensive, but would appear to be a good option with Mr. Colson's stated research/repair aversion.

Great answers! Unfortunately, https://www.lovejoy-inc.com/wp-conte...awIn-Shear.pdf only shows smallest size as LS090, and what's on there now is LS070. Not sure what if any that changes in terms of rotating mass/balancing....

I didn't realize the JIS didn't cover the full size range, i.e. down to the LS070. The LS090 is larger and will easily carry the Hp/torque, and should be (looks to be) available with the 5/8" bore. Lovejoy will make sure the hubs are balanced and the increased rotating mass of the LS090 will be insignificant compared to the drum's mass.

So, the only issue will be - as Mr. Blue pointed out - do you have room for the larger coupling?

The LS090 is 2.75"OD. (~3.5" is for the LS099 size.) Then you just need to verify that will fit within the space available in your Supermax.

I have a similar Jet, and can't open the hood right now, but memory says this might fit. If not, my apologies for the rabbit hole.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 05-19-2022 at 2:17 PM. Reason: corrected for the LS090; I was looking at the LS099 on MI site

Look at the Lovejoy LC series. It is like the L series except the "spider" is a wrap that inserts from the outside with a retaining collar.

https://www.lovejoy-inc.com/products...ble-elastomer/

This might be a silly question but have you called Supermax? Their customer service and technical support is excellent in my experience. Seems like they could send you a new spider for a few bucks and walk you though installation.

Last edited by Keegan Shields; 05-19-2022 at 3:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan Shields View Post
    This might be a silly question but have you called Supermax? Their customer service and technical support is excellent in my experience. Seems like they could send you a new spider for a few bucks and walk you though installation.

Not a bad suggestion but he stated that all related parts are out of stock in an earlier post.