Thread: I guess this was my first quarter 2022 project.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I guess this was my first quarter 2022 project.

Finally finished the credenza. It's been a multiple month project. Actually one year from the day I drew it, but I didn't actually start working on it until January. Cherry and Walnut, which should be interesting once it starts to age.

~mike

happy in my mud hut

I like it.
    What material did you use for the white panels?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thank you. It's mulberry paper, glued to the walnut frames (which are interference fitted to the doors), which is handy since I can operate the equipment with the doors closed.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Looks great, and I'm sure will be enjoyed for a very long time!!

That's pretty awesome and I love the mulberry paper. Any chance to get a shot of the underside? I'm curious how you fastened the "feet".

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    That's pretty awesome and I love the mulberry paper. Any chance to get a shot of the underside? I'm curious how you fastened the "feet".
    Just like the originals, I used screws. And half-lapped joints.

As you can see in this shot, I rebated the back so I can add a back, and not use it for stereo equipment.

The drawers are just on center mounted runners.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Took me a minute to remember….”mid century modern”….without seeing “rabbet ears” ! I think it was seeing the “horizontal hold needs
    adjustment “ (on the drawer fronts) that tipped me off. Well done, enjoy !

Mike, that credenza has pizazz! Thanks for posting.

Blog Entries
    Thats really great and a fun peek inside your shop. I like that the "spindly" mid century legs are actually very strong.
    Best Regards, Maurice

That looks great, Mike. I'm guessing that the Cherry will darken and the Walnut lighten over time ... perhaps come to look much the same and lose the contrast. Good choice of grain direction throughout - little things that add up to a lot.

I also approve of the turntable! So, curious minds want to know what it is, and where are the albums?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks Derek, I suspect there may come a point where the contrast may even swap.

It's an Empire 598, a mk2 version, with a Jelco tonearm.

For the most part, the records live in my home office. With the polar opposite of the empires massive platter and pabst motor, a Rega. I have a bin, it holds about 20 records, that lives in the living room.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Hi Mike

I've heard (sic) great things about both the Empire and Jelco. What cartridge? I had a Rega 3 some years back. A classic. Now I run a highly modified Thorens TD150/Rega RB300/Supex 900 mk4.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Well done, Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Johnson View Post
    Well done, Mike.
    Thanks Nathan!
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Hi Mike

I've heard (sic) great things about both the Empire and Jelco. What cartridge? I had a Rega 3 some years back. A classic. Now I run a highly modified Thorens TD150/Rega RB300/Supex 900 mk4.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Hi Derek,

The papst hysteresis motor, coupled with the 5.5kg platter makes for very consistent playback. I'm currently running a soundsmith Otello MI cartridge. The biggest issue with the 598 is that Empires suspension design severely limits the tonearms you can use (without major machining). The TD150's a very nice table and I know I like that arm.

.. and yes, I do really like MCM designs, but I also kind of meant to play well visually with the table.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut