Thread: Duplicate Photo Finder

Duplicate Photo Finder

I think I remember that someone mentioned a program that found duplicate photos on your computer. I have a lot of photos on my computer and need to eliminate some to gain back some disk space.

I've researched this on the web but it's hard to know which one works best. If you have some experience with a program like this, please let me know how it worked for you.

There's one called PictureEcho that looks good but it's only available on subscription and I don't want to do a subscription - I want a one-time fee.

One called Visual Similarity Duplicate Image Finder looks decent and has a one-time license. Anyone used it?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have used Duplicate File Finder from Ashisoft for a long time and like it. Do not remember the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Fenneuff View Post
    I have used Duplicate File Finder from Ashisoft for a long time and like it. Do not remember the cost.
    Thanks, Marc. I need a program which will compare actual images, not just look for duplicate files. I may have edited an image (maybe brightened it up) but it's the same image. I want to find all the same images so I can delete the ones I don't want.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

With Windows 10 I've had good luck using this:

http://www.duplicate-finder.com/photo.html

Interface is simple, can pick specific directories and gives a percentage how close the images compare.

It took about 15 minutes to go through 3000 images on a USB2 thumb drive. Keep in mind I have a 4th generation i3 processor in the laptop so anything you have should get the job done quicker.

In the linux computer I've used the command line tool findimagedupes redirecting the output to a file. It's come up with lots of false positives and in all slower to use.

-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stenzel View Post
    With Windows 10 I've had good luck using this:

http://www.duplicate-finder.com/photo.html

Interface is simple, can pick specific directories and gives a percentage how close the images compare.

It took about 15 minutes to go through 3000 images on a USB2 thumb drive. Keep in mind I have a 4th generation i3 processor in the laptop so anything you have should get the job done quicker.

In the linux computer I've used the command line tool findimagedupes redirecting the output to a file. It's come up with lots of false positives and in all slower to use.

-Tom
    Thanks, Tom. I tried that one but because of the large number of photos I have, it gave me an error of running out of memory. And I have 32GB of main memory on my machine.

Mike

Update: I bought a copy of Duplicate Photo Cleaner. Works well but the license is only good for a year.

Then I found EaseUS DupFiles Cleaner (apparently, it's a new program). It has an option to look for duplicate photos and skip data files. That one has a perpetual license.

With both, I found I had a lot of duplicates, and I still haven't learned how to do a bulk erase in a way that I want to.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Update: I bought a copy of Duplicate Photo Cleaner. Works well but the license is only good for a year.

Then I found EaseUS DupFiles Cleaner (apparently, it's a new program). It has an option to look for duplicate photos and skip data files. That one has a perpetual license.

With both, I found I had a lot of duplicates, and I still haven't learned how to do a bulk erase in a way that I want to.

Mike
    Let us know if you find that good bulk erase option.

I have the same issue, especially with photos. Over 100,000 of them. Plenty duplicates.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.