Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does A Blowers CFM Rating Change When Converting to A Cyclone Setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    A source of impellers is the main problem as making them here does not scale well against the retail sales numbers.
    Have you checked the factories in Taizhong? (I'm guessing the short cyclones are a common item and might be able to get impellers from same factory?)

Matt

I would think you were fine. I had 2hp HF at one point with 6" spiral, a few branches, no more than 4 elbows (most were 3), a wynn filter and a super dust deputy.

I had no issues running sawstop 3hp. I got a little choked up at the point of my Hammer a3 so I did upgrade

The HF is overrated in HP, so I think you would fare better. Keep elbows to a minimum

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    Chris,
    don't you have a clearvue?

For the grizzly impellers, you need to search by the part number (most of their tools include a helpful parts list with these), as opposed to just searching for "impeller".

E.g., the 12-3/4"x95mm aluminum impeller that is used on several of their DCs: https://www.grizzly.com/parts/grizzl...1/p1029z2010v2

Matt
    Correct . Find the machine that may have what your looking for , click on " buy parts " . That particular impeller is the one that can be found in 85 mm and 95 mm heights .

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    I would think you were fine. I had 2hp HF at one point with 6" spiral, a few branches, no more than 4 elbows (most were 3), a wynn filter and a super dust deputy.

I had no issues running sawstop 3hp. I got a little choked up at the point of my Hammer a3 so I did upgrade

The HF is overrated in HP, so I think you would fare better. Keep elbows to a minimum
    How big was the impeller in the 2HP because without knowing that your information does not help much unfortunately. I know I sound like a broken record but comparisons of this type don't help much.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

One thing I have seen implied but not explicated here - adding a cyclone adds a load to the motor. It takes work, watts, horsepower, whatever unit you want to use, to get that volume of air spinning and keep it spinning. Just putting it out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Winners View Post
    One thing I have seen implied but not explicated here - adding a cyclone adds a load to the motor. It takes work, watts, horsepower, whatever unit you want to use, to get that volume of air spinning and keep it spinning. Just putting it out there.
    A cyclone works because it is inefficient and slows the air flow down. I note the blower the OP has is 3 phase which is a plus, use a VFD to control it and you the motor speed can be controlled up or down as needed, every DE should be 3 phase to add flexibility to its operation. I know of one workshop where using a VFD after machining has stopped the VFD reverts to an idle mode and a gate is left open which enables the removal of dusty air as there is always some dust that escapes.
    Chris

How big was the impeller in the 2HP because without knowing that your information does not help much unfortunately. I know I sound like a broken record but comparisons of this type don't help much.
    This might be that you're in Australia , but the HF 2 hp. is a common item here that most folks are familiar with . Harbor Freight sells many "less than stellar" , poor quality items , including that DC . It's impeller is 10.5 or 10.75 inches ( not sure) , and several try to replace it w/ a bigger one . But it sells for less than 1/2 the cost of a better machine and can get you going w/ dust collection cheaply .

Quote Originally Posted by james manutes View Post
    This might be that you're in Australia , but the HF 2 hp. is a common item here that most folks are familiar with . Harbor Freight sells many "less than stellar" , poor quality items , including that DC . It's impeller is 10.5 or 10.75 inches ( not sure) , and several try to replace it w/ a bigger one . But it sells for less than 1/2 the cost of a better machine and can get you going w/ dust collection cheaply .
    It still does not supply any useful information but yes I know this is how we have expressed DE sizing in the past and my remarks above on impeller sizing explain why HP means very little. We have been indoctrinated by sales people who thing HP is the answer anyone needs, put a 12" impeller on your 2HP machine and if it gets to full speed it will flow more air for no change in motor size. I know I won't achieve any great change in thinking but I am just trying to give some people a new way to look at DE sizing that actually means something because a lot of it is myth & tall stories with no factual foundation.
    Chris

I note the blower the OP has is 3 phase which is a plus, use a VFD to control it and you the motor speed can be controlled up or down as needed, every DE should be 3 phase to add flexibility to its operation.
    I'll be running it from my 5HP. RPC for now, but I would like to eventually set it up on a VFD.

I know of one workshop where using a VFD after machining has stopped the VFD reverts to an idle mode and a gate is left open which enables the removal of dusty air as there is always some dust that escapes.
    In my case controlling the speed could be a good advantage since I have my filter enclosed in a cabinet, basically the opposite of a typical DC set-up. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....85#post3032285
    Eventually I want to make a clean-out port in the bottom of the cabinet & a DIY version of a pulse-jet system that's used in commercial dust collectors.
    Roto-Pulse(TM).jpg
    With a shop-vac connected to a bottom clean-out port & air from my compressor blowing through the filter, the slow air-flow from the main blower will allow the dust to move to the bottom clean-out port & be collected by the shop-vac.

Doug