Thread: First Time Milling Basswood

First Time Milling Basswood

A month or so ago my arborist friend asked if I wanted a 20" white oak tree. "Of course, thanks very much." When I got to the jobsite and he started cutting it, it was clear the white oak was something else. But with no leaves out yet it's often a guessing game so I can't blame him for getting it wrong; the bark looked a lot like white oak. But it clearly was not white oak. The wood looked similar to soft maple but not the bark.

Fast forward to yesterday when I cut the logs. We put the first log on the mill and the blade got fouled with wood fibers in the gullets so quickly that it wouldn't cut. It was a resharpened blade that I had just finished cutting a black walnut log with w/o problems. I tried another resharpened blade. No-go. I tried adding water with dish soap in it. No go. Finally, I decided to put a brand new blade on. The difference was astounding. It cut straight and true and the gullets didn't load up at all. I guess I have a thing or three more to learn about resharpening blades. Never had any trouble before in the hardwoods I normal cut.

But the effort to figure it out paid off. We got two logs of nearly clear wood that I'm pretty sure is basswood/linden. It looked like this fresh off the mill.

It's not as white today, more of an orange/tan color. In any case, it's going to make some nice carving stock.

John

"it's going to make some nice carving stock."

Man, it sure will. Do you have to do anything different to successfully dry a softer wood like that John? Or do you just vary the time in the kiln?

(Reading your posts gets me more and more tempted to start sawyering myself! Like I NEED another hobby! )
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I'm not sure yet, Fred. I air dry lumber before putting it in the kiln. My guess is that it will dry like yellow poplar or pine, meaning quickly and without much problem. I suspect even the 8/4 stuff will be down to 14% by October and then ready to put into the electric kiln to finish. Most 8/4 hardwoods take a year or more to air dry, for comparison.

John

I've come to love basswood for electric guitar bodies myself. Really nice stuff!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...