Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help Me Pick a Plow Plane or Is It a Plough Plane

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    So...how well does it do tongues for T&G joints like the OP was asking about?
    Very slowly, Steven

Regards from Perth

Derek

How slowly..
    Plough Plane, results.JPG
    Plough Plane, in use.JPG
    Plough Plane, G. Roseboom, CINCI. OH.JPG

Made in Cincinnati, Ohio, back in 1864.....G. Roseboom....1/4" as set up, was able to use other width cutters. Meant to use as part of a "Match" set....one would cut the tongue, to match the groove thise plane would produce..

YMMV...
    Last edited by steven c newman; 05-20-2022 at 3:13 AM.
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

I mean is money is no object how can you not go for a custom hand made one of a kind plough plane. I can't imagine ever owning such a piece of art but have drooled over such a plane for years. I would also love to own the HNT Gordon Moving Fillister plane but will probably never be able to pull the trigger on such a tool.

Having said this, I own both the LV Small Plow and the LV Moving Fillister and both work amazing. I have the original Small Plow so doesn't have all the features available these days but I don't really see myself needing them that often now that I do a lot more power tool work. I still love using my joinery planes and when set up correctly they work amazing.

On a more practical scale...
    June Project, Cutter.JPG
    and..
    June Project, last one.JPG
    Milling a 3/16" tongue....then 5 minutes to change over to a plough plane..
    June Project, cutter reset.JPG
    To plough the matching 3/16" groove...
    June Project, Match Plane work.JPG
    All to make a few corner joints..
    June Project, Corner joint.JPG

To make the corners of a Frame & Panels Chest..
    June Project, inside of the corner.JPG
    That won't need any hidden screws or nails....just some glue...and look the same width from either direction...
    June Project, 3inch side.JPG
    In this case, that would be 3" wide.

Plane also made the grooves ( 1/4" x 1/4") to house the raised panels......

Stanley No. 45, Type SW T-20.....Roxton Pond, QUE. CAN.

Maybe I should start a new thread, but this is a simple question regarding the Veritas Small Plow Plane:

The Combination Wide Blade Kit--Do users leave the kit, a long skate of sorts, attached on the plane when using ordinary narrow blades, say 1/4 or 3/8 inch wide blades? Or conversely, does one remove the combination wide blade kit when using the narrow blades?
    Regards,

Tom

You can't use the additional skate in the wide blade kit with most narrow blades due to interference in the blade-fastening assembly. 1/4" doesn't work and 3/8" is just a hair too small. 10mm might be the minimum, but I don't have one of those to check.

When I first got the plane, I thought I might miss the extra skate because there was one that worked down to 1/4" with the Stanley #45, but it has not made a difference in practice. Note that I usually scribe the groove edges with a mortise gauge beforehand to reduce initial tearout.

Makes sense. Thank you.
    Regards,

Tom

Tom,
    To add one more option to your list, I'd also suggest looking at the Luban 43 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2255800205265438.html which is a redo of the original record 43 with the added bonus of being able to be a kerfing plane. I have bought 2 of these recently (one as a gift for a fellow woodworker) and I've been really impressed. I will say 1 arrived with a small nick in the skid which a few minutes on a glass plate with sandpaper fixed. These are tiny planes which is great for keeping at my bench all the time and are surprisingly easy to setup and use. I have a veritas combo plane which is an amazing tool also but its size means it can't be at my bench all the time so for quick work I reach for the Luban 43. Shipping took about 2 weeks to the US as of last month.
    Best,
    Matt

Matt, if the Luban is close to the dimensions of the Record #043 (which I own), you will be able to use the smaller Veritas blades in it (from either the Combination Plane or Plow Plane).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Maybe go and read the blog I am writing about building a raised panel, Frame & Panel Chest.....and note how those grooves and things are actually getting DONE.....and used.
    Collar parts, too tall lid.JPG
    Currently working on a raised panel lid for this "box"....also to be frame & panel style....

YMMV....

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Matt, if the Luban is close to the dimensions of the Record #043 (which I own), you will be able to use the smaller Veritas blades in it (from either the Combination Plane or Plow Plane).

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Derek I just tested it tonight and confirmed my veritas blades worked fine in the Luban 43