Typical use will be on 3/4 to 7/8" stock planing on edge for a a 1/4" groove about 3/8" deep for frame and panel construction. I'll also be using it for grooving a post, usually about 1.5" x 1.5" is typical, again to accept a panel for frame and panel construction. It needs to go both directions, as grain direction may vary on a single piece of stock. Bonus use would be a tongue bit, say 1/4", to make sure the panels fit the aforementioned groove would save some fitting time. I may have a use for it for inlay of boxes and beading down the road, but right now, the immediate use is frame and panel construction.

I used to use a 1/4" router bit in a table with a fence, but with frame and panel construction, I have to drop the wood onto a spinning router bit, which while not inherently dangerous, nevertheless always gives me the heebie jeebies.

I guess the choice is between a Veritas Plow Plane (do I need both LH and RH to go both directions for grain direction?) or a combination plane, like a Veritas 48 (again, do I need to switch fence settings on the 48 to accomplish this?). Money is not a factor. Quality tool, ease of use are the main factors here.

Having not owned any such plane, any help would be nice. I did read some old threads here on this, as well as looking at some Cossman, Wood Wright, and Sellers videos, but none of the addressed my specific issue.

Thanks in advance for all who respond.