Thread: Mobile base for 24" bandsaw

Mobile base for 24" bandsaw

I do intend to paint this one, but need to use it, and wanted to see how it worked, so I'm going with another Rat Rod version for a while. This is now the easiest to move woodworking machine I have. I've never been very impressed with any of the commercial mobile bases, and after this one, I'm less impressed with any of them. This is a heavy machine, but now a child could move it.

6" casters. The locking swivels have two foot levers. One to lock, and another one to unlock.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

One side is a small angle iron to allow for the lower door to open. 1-1/4" clearance underneath so I can roll it over the slope change between the floor in this building and the ramp to get outside. I'll use it outside.

The way this building was built, I can pick the bandsaw up inside, but can't carry it back through the 10' tall doorway. The Centauro has two holes in the top to put something through for lifting. I keep a short chain with a length of 5/8" Stablebraid attached to it for such lifting.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 05-13-2022 at 4:10 PM.

I believe on most European bandsaws those holes on top of the arm are for shipping tie downs. They are not rated for lifting. Also used so it does not tip over in use or quakes. AFAIK only Grob bandsaws have a threaded rated lift point on the arm.
    Bill D

I guess maybe they shouldn't call them "Hoist Holes".

The two hole lift is how I lifted my MM16 per the manual. Worked fine.

They are clearly labeled on my saw as for lifting.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I guess some are for lifting then. Just make sure the factory approves before assuming things that might fail under load.
    Bill D

Good grief. It's what they're there for.

I have read here that some of the European bandsaws state, in the manual, that those holes are not for lifting. They are designed only as tie down points.
    I do know that Bridgeport milling machine lifting eyes went from 1/2" to 5/8 with no increase in machine weight. I assume there were some failures of the 1/2" even if the factory said it was safe. My lathe uses a a single 16mm lifting eye for 1750 pounds. Just make sure it is a proper forged lifting eye, screwed in all the way.
    I think on a bandsaw the issue is not a vertical lift but having to lift it up at an angle from laying down flat. A eyebolt whose force is at 45 degrees from the bolt is derated over 70%.
    Bill D.

https://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/safe...eye_bolts.html
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 05-14-2022 at 3:34 PM.

The holes are absolutely for lifting.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep