Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uneven Jaws - Spofford Fray Brace

Paul, a couple of mine are loose too, and I don't know how to fix the problem. At point of manufacture the rings would have been a slip on fit over the two handle halves then shrunk in a roller press. I imagine the press would have consisted of three rollers with one being able to exert the pressure required to shrink the ring into the groove.
    I used to think about the looseness of the handles, and how to fix them, a few years ago but I've got used to using the braces as is.
    Now the problem is at the front of my mind again!

Cheers,
    Geoff.

Thanks Geoff, I had already replied (I thought) but dodgy internet connection mislead me. Once it'll be a good user I'm happy! On a related note, the two halves of the handle are very loose under the pewter rings. Is there any simple way to tighten them up? I have heard of soaking in oil. Does this work? Any oil in particular to be preferred?

Thanks gain, Paul

Blog Entries
    A few times BLO on various handles caused them to swell a bit. This could tighten up the wood in the rings.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The wood used is very dense and I'm doubtful if it would swell enough to make much of a difference, but I guess it's worth a try and I'd be interested in your result.

Cheers,
    Geoff.

Sorry Geoff! My other Fray has a perfect handle / rings so this new loose one feels a bit weird. I'll let you know if I come up with / hear of any solution. Least I can do after reminding you of the issue!