Current kitchen needs a refresh. The state of the cabinets seem to be some maple or maybe alder, stained in a brown/cherry and then given a satin poly. Looks like two of outer cab bodies have veneer. I plan to modernize these to either white or maybe even a gray/blue color, depending how some samples look that I make before I plunge in. Confusing part is what topcoat(s) should I use, given my DIY status. I have a few HVLP guns and experience spraying, although not inside my house. I've read professionals tend to lean to pre-cat, but in my case I don't know if that's the right choice. I may choose to role the cabinet bodies to avoid having to prep up the kitchen, since we still need to use it day in and day out.

Other options I'm considering are Advance (which I have a lot of experience with and do enjoy), Emerald or Milesi. My concern with Advance is if we pick white, that it may yellow over time. The inside of the lid of white satin I have right now is already yellowing a bit, and it's only a few months old. VOC's is also a concern, my wife is EXTRA sensitive of fumes. I spray in my garage all the time, with both garage doors open and the interior door shut... She claims she can still smell it inside the house.

So in summary, the question is - should I refinish my kitchen cabinets with a pre-cat lacquer or use paint such as Advance or Emerald.