Thread: WTB 8/4 air dried Ash. Feeling picky.

Blog Entries

WTB 8/4 air dried Ash. Feeling picky.

Ash is not covered in the North East Lumber Mfr Association (NELMA) manual. I am looking for what would be SS (select structural) grade if Ash were covered by the Western Wood Products Association (WWPA) but Ash doesn't grow out west.

I am looking for zero knots and zero, I mean ZERO grain runout in a piece of AIR DRIED 8/4 x 8 x 48-60 inches.

Must be air dried so I can steam bend it.

If the billet has a little bit of runout it is going to need to be wider than 8 inches so I can rip/rive on the grain lines and get out 48 inch pieces with no runout.

I will be paying UPS ground shipping to central California, something like 93901 or 96080. Buying a golf club bag or a trombone case and flying the thing home as a checked bag will be my problem. You can just tape up the corners and edges, write the shipping addy on the face of the board and drop it off at UPS.

Shipping air dried forest products to California may be forbidden. Alternate destination is Tampa Bay area Florida, more or less zip code 33619.

Kiln dried stock need not apply.

Thanks.

I would contact Pete Terbovitch @ Horizon Wood Products. He's in PA, though. What you should ask for is if he has pieces that are partially dried or haven't gone into kiln yet. I've been able to buy green wood from him before.

Your next bet might be Elia Bizzari. He's also an East coaster, but he sells green, riven stock. I've bought red oak from him. He sells for chair parts, so the 8" wide might be tricky.

What exactly are you making?

Scott--i'm going to PM you with an idea. I have no clue if it's worthy, so the rest of y'all keep checking!!
    earl

Scott, how soon do you need this? I might have what you need. I have a good supply of Ash. It might be a little while before I can look. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ash Lumber.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	224.2 KB 
ID:	479159
    Sorry about it being on it's side. I even rotated and saved and still got this.

There used to be a quarantine for moving Ash in Ohio due to EAB infestation. Not sure if it applied to other states, or even if it's still in effect.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    There used to be a quarantine for moving Ash in Ohio due to EAB infestation. Not sure if it applied to other states, or even if it's still in effect.
    As far as I know it's still in effect. However the EAB doesn't bore into the wood it thrives under the bark destroying the ability of the bark to carry the nutrients needed. Someone can correct if wrong but I don't think it was a restriction on lumber, only firewood and whole logs etc.