Thread: A Mess in the Shop

A Mess in the Shop

The sump pump quit so I took it into the woodshopto perform exploratory surgery. The motor came off and needed to come apart. Bolts removed, pry the end off....WHOOSH !!! about 2 quarts of oil on the bench and floor, and on my pants and shoes. Bad words followed by a lot of cleanup.

Got a story to share

I hate it when I have a sudden, unexpected mess. I much prefer planned messes.

I carved this sign for my shop:

chip_mess.jpg

JKJ

Sorry, but at this great distance, it's quite funny, and I'm very glad that it didn't happen to me.

Why did it have the oil in it? Submersible? I can maybe see a submersible pump being full of oil, for lubrication, and to transfer heat to the water around it. I never had the need to take one apart myself. Did you manage to discover what was wrong with it?

Charley

Blog Entries
    I need a shop sign that says "Woodworking Only".
    Best Regards, Maurice

At least you didn't let the magic smoke out of the motor.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

I had a sump pump fail recently...and bought a replacement since there was several inches of water in the basement and time was of the essence in order to not lose the HVAC system. I honestly don't think I'd open one up like your did, Tom...brave for sure!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My teenage son and his friend were doing 'something' in my shop recently that involved diesel fuel. It went all over the top of my workbench and the floor and various fixtures stored underneath the bench.

Soaks in quickly and still smelled a week later. Took about two weeks to fully recover/cleanup.

I did find sawdust from the dust collector useful to spread everywhere and walk on and let it soak up as much as possible.

So I feel for you!! Goodluck! Oil is tough to cleanup.

Geez, I thought stuff like that only happened to me. Hope nothing else is damaged.