Thread: Powermatic 180 planer, tie down to a trailer

Powermatic 180 planer, tie down to a trailer

I just bought a powermatic 180 planer about 100 miles away. It weighs 1250 pounds or so. Seller has a forklift. I will rent a trailer and bring it home. Any advice on where and how to tie it down. I am thinking straps at all four corners under the table around the frame.
    Bill D
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 05-12-2022 at 4:40 PM.

I try to tie down loads with the notion that if I was in an accident the load would stay with the trailer. I think 2 heavy duty ratchet straps over the base (under the table) and tied to the corners of your trailer would do it. I like to drive a couple of miles and pull over to check strap tension again.

Straps are cheap insurance. I would also go over the top with a couple. Look hard at the trailer and make sure there are good tie down points. More rare than you would think. We had one like that in a shop I worked in. Super nice planer. Does the knife grinder come with it? I see the bar but a lot of the time the actual grinder has been lost. Depends on who is selling it, may not even know what the grinder is or that they go together. Grinding the knives in the head gives an exceptional finish.

Blog Entries
    This worked for my pm180
    20220111_133924.jpg

It has the grinder bar but no grinder. I have a lathe tool post grinder I hope to fit. The trailer will be a uhaul 5x8 utility. I will drop a piece of plywood on the floor before loading. to spread the weight, 1,300 pounds. I hear they have limited tie down ability. So I figure one strap at each corner to spread the load to multiple tie downs.
    I think the top strap is probably a good safety tip. trip is all flat with no slopes except on ramps.
    Bill D

I would strap it under the bed but on top of the base frame in an X pattern from corner to corner if it was open enough to do that (for downward pressure.) Then likely back it up with some opposing straps that pull against each other. One around the outside of the rear of the base and another around the outside of the front of the base (for lateral pressure.)
    Still waters run deep.

You're not going to hurt that one with straps. I'd put them over any part of the main frame, but not the bed or grinder. Did it come with the grinder motor, and jointer stone?

I always take a impact driver and deck screws with 4-5 pieces of 2''x4''. I screw the 2'x4 around the base of the machine to help prevent moving then strap down with rachet straps.

You need to accomplish two things when you are tying down a heavy piece of equipment like this...keep it securely down on the trailer bed and also keep it from moving forward or back. The latter is the harder part because there's a lot of mass there. Plan your straps accordingly.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'd find a pallet and bolt the planer down to it first. Then add the straps

Went pretty well. Now I have to figure out if the gears are all working. The adjustable bed rollers do not lift. Seem to be stuck. The stuff under the table moves and seems to be free Maybe a lock knob somewhere for the lever.
    Bill D