Thread: Pork Rub

Pork Rub

Anyone have a recipe for a pork rub you like and would be willing to share? Getting to be grilling season.

Fresh chopped rosemary, fresh chopped garlic, fresh ground pepper, olive oil. From the Italian kid!

Depends a lot on what style you like...

This is a basic recipe I use, except I usually increase (double+?) the cayenne as I like spicy ribs and butt.

1/2 cup chili powder
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup kosher salt
    2 tbs black pepper
    2 tsp cayenne pepper
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Alton Brown’s brine and rub for pulled pork is my default for pork butts. It is a bit unconventional but is quite popular in my social group.

Starting with Paul Franklin's recipe I would add a quarter cup of paprika.

Pork is versatile, there are more good rub recipes for pork than I will be able to sample in this lifetime.

There are hundreds of good rubs out there that cover the whole BBQ spectrum. I like to mix it up occasionally and use this. It's a mix of crushed brown mustard, rosemary, garlic, thyme, bay leaf and sage. Add a little Kosher salt to the mix and it makes a great rustic rub for ribs or port butt. I'll usually coat the meat with olive oil first, then add the salt and rub mixture. Lean cuts like loin get brined first. I like a slow roast on my Big Green Egg with a few chunks of Applewood.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

It sounded so good I did some spare ribs this weekend.

7E41AB51-EBA7-4EE3-A2D0-0D94C282A9DF.jpg
    Last edited by Rob Luter; 05-17-2022 at 8:13 AM.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

My mouth is watering!

I have learned to microwave the meat until it is close to cooked all the way through then grill it for flavor.
    My easy favorite is diced green peppers with onion microwaved until they are a little soft then into a wire basket with pre cooked meat balls. then grill it stirring occasionally. Every thing is soaked in teriyaki sauce. The meatballs marinate over night. We cal lit Lazy Bob's. for shishkabob.
    The frozen precooked meatballs are less per pound then raw hamburger since the fat is already cooked away.
    Bill D

I use Sous Vide to pre-cook to interior temp before heading to the grill to finish over charcoal. A healthy portion of the desired seasoning goes on before the meat goes in the vacuum back and that gets inside with the natural juices as fat is rendered, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

+1 on Sous Vide method !

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Colombo View Post
    +1 on Sous Vide method !
    It's become my go-to for so many meat (and other things) cooking solutions for getting a more precise "done" for internal temperature before searing off. Most things, like steaks, etc., I'm shooting for a nice medium-rare after searing, so about 122ºF for 45 minutes works for me in the bath. OTOH, a rack of baby backs need to be tender-done and they get 10 hours at 165ºF before finishing over charcoal.

I'm soon to order the wireless probe for my Café induction range to be able to do Sous Vide on top of the range ... it can supplement what I have nicely when I want to do two things simultaneously with different settings.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 05-18-2022 at 9:02 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

We use an instant pot to precook pork ribs.

If you're looking for something thats not a barbecue-style rub, we use the 21-Gun Salute seasoning mix from Trader Joes.
    < insert spurious quote here >