Thread: Special Edition reissue of Toshio Odate's "Japanese Woodworking Tools"

Special Edition reissue of Toshio Odate's "Japanese Woodworking Tools"

Seems like it may be of interest to some of the folks here that Linden has just published a special limited edition (hardcover, with slipcase,) of Toshio Odate's classic "Japanese Woodworking Tools".

I saw the notice on LAP's Blog:

https://blog.lostartpress.com/2022/0...ecial-edition/

There are 500 copies printed & signed and LAP will retail 100 of them. (It doesn't say where the other 400 are, but they should be out there. Don't see it at my two guesses, Lee Valley or Tools for Working Wood, yet at least.)

ETA: Woodcraft also has it on their site. (Had to search, it is buried amongst the other books.)

2nd Edit: LAP has sold out (of their allocated 100.)
    Last edited by David Bassett; 05-11-2022 at 4:22 PM. Reason: more info, LAP's sold out

Just wanted to bump this old thread to note that the autographed book appears to be in stock at Lee Valley:

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...n?item=71L3007

It sold out from LAP same day and I know a few people were upset to have missed out.

Idk, a 125$ for essentially a coffee table book? Seems a bit steep.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Dover View Post
    It's nicely bound, unlike the falling apart paperback versions of the original I'd seen.

I'll admit I grabbed one and have mixed feelings. The binding is very much nicer, but the photographs haven't improved from the slightly grainy '80s quality which is lower than we expect these days. So everyone will have to decide what they value.

I only have a vague recollection of the event, but I do recall getting to watch Toshio Odate do a live demo at a woodworking show in Indianapolis in about 2005 or so. I’m no Neander, but I found it fascninating.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I had the same thought, but iit does sound like an interesting read. I guess it depends on how much you're into Japanese tools. I wonder if I can get one to read on inter-library loan?

But there are plenty of other sorta "coffee table books" out there at a high price - Brian Shul wrote Sled Driver about the SR71, and even when purchased new at one of his talks it cost around $300 IIRC. I just saw one on Amazon for $400.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

My copy from the late '80s is still in pretty good shape- the dust jacket only slightly ripped.

IMG_3697.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    My copy from the late '80s is still in pretty good shape- the dust jacket only slightly ripped. (image removed)
    I haven't seen one like that. Hard to imagine the upgrades are worth it to you. I guess they did a hardcover press run and at some point did a paperback version. The ones I've seen started as paperback, but where mostly loose-leaf and really beat. But even then you'd have the same information. I'd been meaning to get a copy and I'm glad for the better binding, but have mixed feelings about the price.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    I haven't seen one like that. Hard to imagine the upgrades are worth it to you. I guess they did a hardcover press run and at some point did a paperback version. The ones I've seen started as paperback, but where mostly loose-leaf and really beat. But even then you'd have the same information. I'd been meaning to get a copy and I'm glad for the better binding, but have mixed feelings about the price.

I see there is one on ebay of the same vintage and condition for $46.

I think the main value in the book would be it is autographed and a nicer quality than the original, ie slipcase and better binding. If you were a fan of the author or valued autographed books that would be a plus. Otherwise getting an older copy or from the library or brand new paperback for $21 sounds good. I'm not sure i'd call it a coffee table book, that makes me think of really oversized books or with lots of artsy pictures.

Wow, this is my first time getting this many responses!

Yeah, I get the appeal of an autographed book, and that many people wouldn't mind the price. I'm going to neither deny its historical importance of being the first book on the subject, nor it being a good general overview for someone who just started this route.

But other than that there's very little from practical standpoint (unlike his other book on shōji). Sure it has a lot of anecdotes and personal accounts, but all the given instructions are rather sketched with broad strokes: a few friends of mine tried following some of the instructions, got confuse and subpar results. Yeah, we could claim an operator error, however following Dale Brotherton's instruction by the same operators was order of magnitude better. Also, I would expect a better job at a blade preparation from someone who went through a rigorous apprenticeship (there's quite a few small things like this):
    Screen Shot 2022-11-23 at 11.37.50.jpg

It would also be an interesting conversation on why Mr. Odate basically fled Japan and went studying Western sculpture, how he got back to his roots later, what were the new developments in Japanese crafts after he left it and so on. But from the pragmatic point of view if I would to spend 125$ on Japanese woodworking books I would go with the paper back version and spend the rest on other books on the subject.

Wow, this is my first time getting this many responses!

Yeah, I get the appeal of an autographed book, and that many people wouldn't mind the price. I'm going to neither deny its historical importance of being the first book on the subject, nor it being a good general overview for someone who just started this route.

But other than that there's very little from practical standpoint (unlike his other book on shōji). Sure it has a lot of anecdotes and personal accounts, but all the given instructions are rather sketched with broad strokes: a few friends of mine tried following some of the instructions, got confuse and subpar results. Yeah, we could claim an operator error, however following Dale Brotherton's instruction by the same operators was order of magnitude better. Also, I would expect a better job at a blade preparation from someone who went through a rigorous apprenticeship (there's quite a few small things like this):
    Screen Shot 2022-11-23 at 11.37.50.jpg

It would also be an interesting conversation on why Mr. Odate basically fled Japan and went studying Western sculpture, how he got back to his roots later, what were the new developments in Japanese crafts after he left it and so on. But from the pragmatic point of view if I would to spend 125$ on Japanese woodworking books I would go with the paper back version and spend the rest on other books on the subject.
    Are you criticizing the ura maintenance? For a well loved/used tool it looks pretty good to me. Maybe not perfect but it doesn’t need to be.

I have the paperback version. I don’t really look at it as instruction in use as much as instruction in thought. I love it and love showing it off. A great coffee table book if you ask me.