Thread: Rewiring 220V Bosch GBS 75 AE belt sander to run on 120V power

Rewiring 220V Bosch GBS 75 AE belt sander to run on 120V power

I'd like to purchase the 220V Bosch GBS 75 AE belt sander and the sanding frame for that sander.

20 years or more ago this tool =was available for use with 120V power. However, now it is only available for use with 220V power which makes it inconvenient to use when working at many locations as only 120V is available.

Does anyone have any experience in regard to "re-wiring" this belt sander to run on 120V power?

Thank You,
    Roger

If this is a portable ac/dc motor I doubt it can be wired for a different voltage. It could be rewound by a motor shop for under $500 or so.
    Bill D

One solution would be a 115:230 volt transformer. For instance https://www.amazon.com/Anbull-Voltag...2223683&sr=8-4

If its 220v only is it made for the 50 Hz market? I see that it has an electronic speed control…will that complicate things?
    Last edited by Greg Quenneville; 05-10-2022 at 10:23 PM.

That’s the ubiquitous HolzHer sander that was made under license by prob. a dozen companies.

You should be able to find one on the secondary market without much trouble or waiting too long.

ebay
    craigs
    offerup
    fb marketplace
    interweb forum swap forums

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    One solution would be a 115:230 volt transformer. For instance https://www.amazon.com/Anbull-Voltag...2223683&sr=8-4
    This would be my recommendation as well - probably a lot less expensive than converting the tool. Running a 50Hz tool on 60Hz should not be a problem. If it's an induction motor, it will run faster. If it's a universal motor, the hertz should not make any difference.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Just out of curiosity, what's so special about this sander?