Thread: water based poly not leveling out

water based poly not leveling out

I was using Varathane ultimate water based poly (which I've had good experience with in the past) on a small panel (12x18) and was padding it on -- which has worked well for me in the past. I didn't have trouble getting an even, thin coat, but I found that the application marks did not level out. In the past, I have found that it doesn't look great when wet (brush or rag marks) but that it dries nice and even, but that didn't happen this time. In researching this, I saw a suggestion that my shop may have been too warm and dry so the finish was drying too quickly to level out properly. It was 75-80 degrees and quite dry in the shop, so maybe that was it. I was also applying it over an india-ink dye on the wood.

Any thoughts on this, either brand or conditions? I know that some of you will say that you should only spray WB poly, which has not been my experience, and I don't have a sprayer so...

Thanks for your help,

-dan
    Last edited by Dan Gaylin; 05-10-2022 at 7:47 PM.

Indeed, it may be drying too quickly. Another contributor could be if you're using a different sheen, especially if it is duller than what you've used with success previously. Flat finishes can be problematic by leaving witness lines, even off a spray gun.

Bottom Line: I'd suggest trying Varathane's hardwood floor finish, based on the fact it is formulated for a padding application. Good looking, durable stuff.

jeff

That’s a great suggestion Jeff! Never thought of that.

Another option is to add some of GF's Extender to what you have. 5% or so will extend the open time so it has longer to flow out.

John

Blog Entries
    Water based and leveling rarely co-exist. Wicked hot here today. 91 with a "feels like" 101
    Best Regards, Maurice

Water based and leveling rarely co-exist
    You should try some Mohawk water based topcoats. Thick stuff, builds fast, and goes on a bit more orange-peely than a person's comfortable with. In a few hours, man, that stuff is just perfectly level.

(At 72 degrees. No, I'd rather not test it at 90+ degrees!)

jeff

Thanks for the additional suggestions. I did think about extender but was being cheap and hadn’t needed it previously. Also wasn’t sure if you could use the GF extender with non-GF products? Will take a look at the Mohawk products.

Dan,
    Sorry- hope I didn't misdirect you, but the Mohawk stuff is really formulated for spraying - probably experience same thing you did with the original Varathane ultimate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gaylin View Post
    Thanks for the additional suggestions. I did think about extender but was being cheap and hadn’t needed it previously. Also wasn’t sure if you could use the GF extender with non-GF products? Will take a look at the Mohawk products.
    I've used GF's Extender with several manufacturer's WB topcoats w/o issue. If you want to roll your own, Extender is 1/3 propylene glycol and 2/3 water.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gaylin View Post
    I have used GF extender with non-GF finishes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the info John, Jim. Appreciate it!