Thread: Position. What a difference a day makes…

Position. What a difference a day makes…

I routed some 1/4” dadoes in the legs of a bookshelf I am building. The panel is 5/16” so I figured I’d plane it down to 1/4”. Not begin smart enough to take the easy way I decided I’d break out the LN 98 & 99 and simply open the dado to 5/16. I sharpened both up just right & I took one of the extra grooved stiles about 9” long to run the trial. I’ve not used the planes a great deal so I wanted to make sure everything was okay on the small piece first. I built a low workbench for my grandson a few yrs ago so I put it in the Jorgensen Pony, sat on a stool and went at it. I could not for the life of me get that dado square. It was time to call it quits for the day so I went on in. Next morning I cleaned up the work on my bigger workbench and being able to stand over the work it all went along really well and the four legs and styles are all opened up to accept the 5/16” panel. Position, position, position. I was no end of aggravated at the tool, but I think we can all agree where that gets you. Once again, I prove to be the weak link Nice tools!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Side rabbet planes are very useful but, as you discovered, can be a trick to get right.

Mine are the Stanley version of the #98 & #99.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Almost anything that doesn't go well today, will go easily tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    A wise boss of mine once told me, "sometimes the best way to solve a problem is to walk away from it."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)