Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: grab hook or slip hook

Ed, I agree that folks with sub-compact tractors have to be picky about what implements they decide to put behind it, but the market has a lot of choices in many categories that are intended specifically for these smaller capacity machines.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Ed, I agree that folks with sub-compact tractors have to be picky about what implements they decide to put behind it, but the market has a lot of choices in many categories that are intended specifically for these smaller capacity machines.
    That's like saying a we need small CAT 1 (CAT 1-A for sub-compacts) and a Large CAT 1(CAT 1-B for compacts)
    It kind of makes the system that already exists pointless by having such a broad spectrum within a single category.
    The CAT 1 range is far too broad when an attachment rated for CAT 1 is too heavy for a tractor rated as CAT 1.
    Many of the sub compacts are rated too high and should be a CAT 0.
    I purposely bought a larger machine so I was not taxing it to death every time I used an attachment or had to downsize the attachment itself.
    YMMV, just my thoughts

Pointless or not, the market has been divided like that for awhile. There are lots of Cat 1 implements that are specifically marketed for Sub-compact and very small compact tractors. They are typically no wider than 48" when ground engaging, for example. These small tractors have been very successful in the market with homeowners and even some contractors who need to operate in small spaces. So the associated market for "stuff" has also been very healthy.
    --

…small tractors have been very successful in the market with homeowners and even some contractors who need to operate in small spaces. So the associated market for "stuff" has also been very healthy.
    I’d love to have a small tractor. I think i’ve mentioned before, for someone with property three tractors would be ideal: a small tractor to get into right places, a huge honkin’ tractor when the power is needed, and mid-sized one for everything. Fortunately, without unlimited funds (and the time for all that extra maintenance), the one I have (with 72” attachments) does almost everything I need on these 27 acres with both fields and forest. If I had just 5 acres or so I’d probably look for a good compact or sub-compact.

Yes, the general market for sub-compacts is properties under 5 acres that don't have more demanding work. A big step up from the "back in the day" garden tractor without the size that makes them less practical. These little machines are very capable when used intelligently, too. I got a stump out this past week after cutting down a 30' tall grey elm that was both dying and in an unfortunate place for access to our rear yard. (and my coming shop building) I took a few hours to accomplish something that a big machine would pick in one big grab, but I 'got er done'. Bucket curl on the BH is a very powerful tool, even on a small machine.
    --

the market has been divided like that for awhile. There are lots of Cat 1 implements that are specifically marketed for Sub-compact and very small compact tractors.
    That's exactly my point.
    Small tractors have their place just as much as large ones but they should not share the same category of attachments.
    Within the same category, you can have an implement that the tractor can't operate and a tractor that can destroy an implement in minutes, while all being labeled CAT1, it no longer makes sense.

It's like someone saying,"I'll help you move, I have a pickup truck"
    Only to find out when he shows up the bed is 5" long.
    JMHO

Have you used a backhoe attachment on a tractor? Before I got the excavator I used my Rhino a lot, removing stumps, digging holes, cutting dirt too hard for the tractor bucket. Will dig 7’ deep, powered by a small hydraulic pump on the PTO. (The thing was frame mounted rather than held by the 3-point hitch.) Nothing like the utility of the excavator but still so useful - ditches, footers, trenches for underground cables and water. Far easier to remove stumps than when I dug them up with the FEL bucket.

But I’ll never use it again. I wonder if there is a used market for these? Maybe list it on Craigslist?

JKJ

Yes, the general market for sub-compacts is properties under 5 acres that don't have more demanding work. A big step up from the "back in the day" garden tractor without the size that makes them less practical. These little machines are very capable when used intelligently, too. I got a stump out this past week after cutting down a 30' tall grey elm that was both dying and in an unfortunate place for access to our rear yard. (and my coming shop building) I took a few hours to accomplish something that a big machine would pick in one big grab, but I 'got er done'. Bucket curl on the BH is a very powerful tool, even on a small machine.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Have you used a backhoe attachment on a tractor? J
    My BX-22 specifically has a backhoe, subframe mounted, not on the 3pt. It's sold as a TLB but also has a Cat 1 3pt available (removable) when then BH is not on the machine. The subsequent models had some additional improvements to the mount which made it easier for putting it on or taking it off. I pretty much never take the BH off and have sold all my 3pt attachments. (Most were bought by Bill Grumbine not long before his demise during the pandemic) That BH adds about 700 lbs of ballast on the back which makes using the loader so much better for sure!

I'm not familiar with the attachment you speak about.
    --

John, I would think someone would want it. I'd advertise it both on CL, and machinerytrader. It's a good time to sell anything.

https://www.machinerytrader.com/list...-backhoes/1046

Have you used a backhoe attachment on a tractor? Before I got the excavator I used my Rhino a lot, removing stumps, digging holes, cutting dirt too hard for the tractor bucket. Will dig 7’ deep, powered by a small hydraulic pump on the PTO. (The thing was frame mounted rather than held by the 3-point hitch.) Nothing like the utility of the excavator but still so useful - ditches, footers, trenches for underground cables and water. Far easier to remove stumps than when I dug them up with the FEL bucket.

But I’ll never use it again. I wonder if there is a used market for these? Maybe list it on Craigslist?

JKJ
    John here is a link to one that sold near me in March. It's not in good shape by any standard but it is complete. It doesn't have a sub frame either.

https://sullivanauctioneers.proxibid...ation/67596540

https://sullivanauctioneers.proxibid...ation/67596793

The Wood's is at the same auction. Better condition but still no sub frame. You shouldn't have any trouble selling the one you have.

https://sullivanauctioneers.proxibid...ation/67596881

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    ... Better condition but still no sub frame. You shouldn't have any trouble selling the one you have.
    [/URL]
    I’ve been told one that connects by 3pt hitch can be a bad idea - a friend here had one and in use it broke the tractor casting which was too expensive to repair or replace. The sub frame version is much stronger (distributes the force to several places under the tractor) but the frame and mounts I have may only support specific tractors which may limit the market. The literature I have from Rhino indicates sub frames are available for many models of tractor. Before I advertise I think I need to contact them and find out which tractors will accept the bolt-on brackets I have and what it would take to adapt the backhoe to other tractors.

A neighbor has the same model tractor I have, Kubota L3830. The easiest thing might be to offer him a deal he can’t refuse! I’ve so much use out of it I’d almost give it away. And I have a plasma torch - it’d be a shame but I could always cut it up for scrap.

JKJ

before you cut it up for scrap
    let me know and I will make a trip down there, load it up, buy you lunch or supper

Honestly, I would list it for sale on Facebook, Craigslist or put on eBay for auction starting at 99cents. You will be surprised at what it will bring.
    Don't try to accommodate everyone, just be honest about what you got and let them figure out what it will fit.
    Good luck
    Ron

I’ve been told one that connects by 3pt hitch can be a bad idea - a friend here had one and in use it broke the tractor casting which was too expensive to repair or replace. The sub frame version is much stronger (distributes the force to several places under the tractor) but the frame and mounts I have may only support specific tractors which may limit the market. The literature I have from Rhino indicates sub frames are available for many models of tractor. Before I advertise I think I need to contact them and find out which tractors will accept the bolt-on brackets I have and what it would take to adapt the backhoe to other tractors.

A neighbor has the same model tractor I have, Kubota L3830. The easiest thing might be to offer him a deal he can’t refuse! I’ve so much use out of it I’d almost give it away. And I have a plasma torch - it’d be a shame but I could always cut it up for scrap.

JKJ
    I looked into one a few years ago and decided against it for that reason. A forum I was looking at someone stated that they had two identical Kubota's I believe in probably the 30-35 hp range. The one with the backhoe(no subframe and an after market add on) and they said the one with the hoe had oil leaks where it bolted together etc. I decided it wasn't for me.

I thought I would add to the confusion the term "Limited Category 1 and Quick-hitch compatible"
    Which (I think) means, I'm really a CAT 0 but I'm being sold as a CAT 1.

I personally would prefer a frame mounted backhoe if I had a choice. While a 3 point hitch is wonderful, a backhoe can put a lot of stress on that connection.