Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: grab hook or slip hook

Folks, keep in mind the size of the tractor that the OP is using. The hooks are for utility, not heavy lifting because...there's only a few hundred pounds of actual lifting capacity. Movable isn't the issue and can be an advantage for this kind of application. If heavy work was involved, welded is absolutely the way to go. But for little machines like the OP and I have, it's less of a concern, as long as they clamp securely. The BXpranded folks make really good and well thought out solutions.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post

I looked up the "Pat's" system and I don't see the advantage over a conventional 3 pt quick hitch. The only possible exception would be if the implement wasn't compatible with a standard quick hitch. They appear to extend the implement further away than a standard quick hitch though and that could be a problem with some PTO shafts.
    Yes they add about 2 inches or so to the length of the lifting arms, which is not a big issue in most cases.
    A Quick-hitch is "fixed" in width and height. Many attachments don't have the exact same measurements, this leads to a situation where some may attach tightly, some may be loose.
    I have several attachments and every one is slightly different in one way or another. I also opted for a Pats' over a Quick-hitch because at the time, I was using a PHD quite a bit and would not be able to utilize it.
    They both have their pro's and con's

I bolted on a 2" receiver to my tractor bucket. I prefer the versatility of the receiver because I can use any of my receiver mounted tools anywhere and switching just takes a few seconds. I maximize the benefit by installing 2" receivers to a steel post in my shop, 2 lawn mowers, my Polaris RZR, my tilt trailer and obviously on my truck plus a 3 point hitch with a 2" receiver for the back of my tractor. Many tools, jigs and fixtures can be made to attach via a 2" square tube. I have pipe, wood and metal working vises mounted on 2" square tubing as well as several tools like buffing motors, benders, metal shears, etc. I can install a long extension square tube to the hitch on the post in my shop and extend the reach to the center of one bay if i am working on an odd assembly or just welding long pipe or angle iron. A "T" attachment allows me to adjust vertical, left and right as the job requires. I have three tables that I can mount in any hitch mounted vise that are handy for routing, welding, assembling, etc. Need a vise or other tool outside in front of your shop just bring your tractor right to the place its needed. My latest attachment is a hand crank winch that I use mostly on my trailer if I need to load a machine or heavy log. It is also used to keep my ATV tight against the back rail when I am transporting it, I still use chains and ratchet slings as the primary hold downs.

All of the attachments below and more can also be used anywhere my tractor or other machines are including remote use on a job site or in the field behind my shop. A small platform stand in the hitch gets me 3 feet off the ground to clean the gutters on my barn, haul my 25 gallon tank to water plants in my garden or trim low hanging tree limbs.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Tow-Step-Bumper-Receiver-500-Lb/dp/B00E5DXRQW/ref=sr_1_29?crid=2XPI0PAU8WRCF&keywords=receiver+b olt+on&qid=1652195459&sprefix=receiver+bolt+on%2Ca ps%2C42&sr=8-29

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 05-10-2022 at 12:15 PM.

Grab hooks definitely.

I looked up the "Pat's" system and I don't see the advantage over a conventional 3 pt quick hitch. The only possible exception would be if the implement wasn't compatible with a standard quick hitch. They appear to extend the implement further away than a standard quick hitch though and that could be a problem with some PTO shafts.
    many implements have different distances between the 3 pins, a std. quick hitch also requires the use of a bit longer pto shaft. at least on my branson, the Pats will nearly eliminate the need to unpin the limit chains on the lift arms to swing the arms out and slide on the pins. then i can lift and lower to line up the top link easily.

good advice.

on placement, I keep the rigging in line with or between the loader arms for safety, both rolling over and putting too much torque between the 2 loader arms. when you rig outside that zone you are pushing one side down and one up, in the center you are pushing them both down with the load.
    former licensed crane operator and rigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Folks, keep in mind the size of the tractor that the OP is using. The hooks are for utility, not heavy lifting because...there's only a few hundred pounds of actual lifting capacity. Movable isn't the issue and can be an advantage for this kind of application. If heavy work was involved, welded is absolutely the way to go. But for little machines like the OP and I have, it's less of a concern, as long as they clamp securely. The BXpranded folks make really good and well thought out solutions.
    Thank you Jim. Keep in mind too I'm 78 years old with knees and hips replaced and in line for a shoulder replacement. I'm finding I'm having to pay others to do things I used to do myself. At first it bothered me, then reality set in when I cracked a rib while changing the light bulb in our oven. 19 years on chemotherapy takes it's toll. Thanks for all the comments, I do envy those of you with lots of get up and go.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fritz View Post
    Thank you Jim. Keep in mind too I'm 78 years old with knees and hips replaced and in line for a shoulder replacement.
    When can we officially call you a cyborg?

Seriously, the simple fact that you're still up and about doing things with a tractor is great. Hopefully I'll be able to do the same when I get there. Stay safe and use whatever gets the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fritz View Post
    Thank you Jim. Keep in mind too I'm 78 years old with knees and hips replaced and in line for a shoulder replacement. I'm finding I'm having to pay others to do things I used to do myself. At first it bothered me, then reality set in when I cracked a rib while changing the light bulb in our oven. 19 years on chemotherapy takes it's toll. Thanks for all the comments, I do envy those of you with lots of get up and go.
    You have a number of years on me, but I absolutely understand. I really hate hiring things out, but it's a necessary evil at some point. So I guess the best thing is to just really enjoy what's still part of the "I'm going to get really tired and do this" plan. (I resemble that remark today after taking down two trees...)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    Yes they add about 2 inches or so to the length of the lifting arms, which is not a big issue in most cases.
    A Quick-hitch is "fixed" in width and height. Many attachments don't have the exact same measurements, this leads to a situation where some may attach tightly, some may be loose.
    I have several attachments and every one is slightly different in one way or another. I also opted for a Pats' over a Quick-hitch because at the time, I was using a PHD quite a bit and would not be able to utilize it.
    They both have their pro's and con's
    Any standard implement is going to have the same dimensions. Maybe something extremely old might not fall in the 3 pt standards but everything with any sort of a "name brand" is going to conform to these standards. There are variations of implements that were originally designed and to work the International fast hitch or the Allis Chalmers Snap Coupler setup or the Case Eagle Hitch and probably a couple I missed.
    Whether they are designed to work with a quick hitch is another question as not all are. Most all newer implements are. If there is an issue it will be with the top hook. Sometimes they have a bolt holding the vertical bars together that's to close to the pin and that makes it unable to be mounted. The absolute exception is 3 pt post hole diggers. The top link comes off and the beam goes there.

Here are the standards for each 3 PT hitch category from 0 to 4.

Hitch category Tractor power Top link pin diameter Lifting arm pin diameter Lower hitch spacing
    Category 0 Up to 20HP 5/6” 5/8” 20”
    Category 1 20-45HP ¾” 7/8” 28”
    Category 2 40-100HP 1” 1 1/8” 34”
    Category 3 80-225HP 1 ¼” 1 7/16” 40”
    Category 4 >180HP 1 ¾” 2” 48”

If the Pat's system works for you that's great. It's good we have choices.

Something like this is more appealing to me. Plus the receiver hitch too like Keith mentioned.

https://www.amazon.com/ECOTRIC-Heavy...2234630&sr=8-5

Ronald,

I like that fixture because it reinforces the bucket rather than weakening the top surface particularly since there will be stresses at the top that it wasn't necessarily designed to handle.

Any standard implement is going to have the same dimensions. Maybe something extremely old might not fall in the 3 pt standards but everything with any sort of a "name brand" is going to conform to these standards.
    With respect, this is just not as clear cut as you make it sound.
    The term "standard" is interpreted rather loosely from one manufacturer to another.
    In my experience, I've seen the distance between lift arms range about 2", anywhere from 26"-28". This is not a good fit for "everything" IMO While most implement "might" fit, what kind of fit is another story.
    With a fixed width on a quick hitch, some implements may have too much side play (slop) for my liking.
    With a Pat's type system I know I have the flexibility to make everything fit snugly without introducing any additional side play (lateral movement AKA slop), no matter what brand or width. YMMV

With respect, this is just not as clear cut as you make it sound.
    The term "standard" is interpreted rather loosely from one manufacturer to another.
    In my experience, I've seen the distance between lift arms range about 2", anywhere from 26"-28". This is not a good fit for "everything" IMO While most implement "might" fit, what kind of fit is another story.
    With a fixed width on a quick hitch, some implements may have too much side play (slop) for my liking.
    With a Pat's type system I know I have the flexibility to make everything fit snugly without introducing any additional side play (lateral movement AKA slop), no matter what brand or width. YMMV
    I'm happy they work for you. My attachments all fit snugly on the quick hitch and no adjustment needed. It's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Ronald,

I like that fixture because it reinforces the bucket rather than weakening the top surface particularly since there will be stresses at the top that it wasn't necessarily designed to handle.
    I agree Keith. Spreads the load over a large area. Plus versatility to use in several ways.

I'm happy they work for you. My attachments all fit snugly on the quick hitch and no adjustment needed. It's all good.

We don't disagree at all.
    The short answer is that not everything is quick-hitch compatible, although I wish it was.
    If anyone is considering getting one, you need to know not everything will fit and not everything that will fit is listed as QH compatible.

We don't disagree at all.
    The short answer is that not everything is quick-hitch compatible, although I wish it was.
    If anyone is considering getting one, you need to know not everything will fit and not everything that will fit is listed as QH compatible.
    and not everything listed as QH compatible will fit.