Thread: Help with parts search

Help with parts search

Looking for a new DELTA VDF-EL for my G0800 electrican fried my clothes dryer, frige, and lathe. Any suggestion where to look for a replacment and a reasonable price?

Have you tried E-Bay? I found a used one for $200.00 a couple of years ago.

I hope the electrician is paying for everything!

I am hesitant to buy used electronics but may consider it. It has gotten worse it warmed up enough yesterday afternoon that we turned on the AC it runs none stop and doesent't cool.

Also it seems to cause surges in lights and fans so I assume the commpresser is locked up and when it trys to run it is pulling to much power.

And no the clectrician categorely denies any responcibility. I have used them for years. I guess I am going to have to contact my home insurence company and let them sort it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Baxter View Post
    ... I am going to have to contact my home insurence company and let them sort it out.
    If the electrician truly caused all those issues, I'd be very surprised if your home owners policy/company will cover anything.

Are you sure you didn't get a lightning strike either directly or nearby? If that happened then insurance is likely to kick in after deductibles.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

So what's the electrician's explanation for what happened? (Since it's not his fault, I have to assume he identified the problem - else how can he claim no fault?)

I can understand how an electrician's error might fry things on a 120V circuit, by somehow connecting it to 240. But there isn't any easy way for an electrician's error to fry a 240 volt machine or appliance in a residential setting where 240 volts is the max voltage available at the panel. Would sure like to hear more details.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

We have had a major remodel in the kitchen down to bear studs all new wireing for the kitchen including adding a new service panal to a 200amp.

When they were all done and switched the power back on the dryer, cloths washer, would not work. the 220 air compresser, 220 lathe, only had 110 (they did get 220 back to the lathe and commpressor) but the next day the late was dead flashing "EF" code Grizzly tech said it had failed would have to be replaced.

A few hours later we relized the 110 fridge was not working but the light was on we moved the temp setting colder unplug and replug it and it started working but would quit after about 4 hours. I had an applaiance repairman look at it and the compressor fan was burnt out.

It will be replaced Monday he doesen't think it received any more damage but we will see.

The electrian did get the washer back to running (he has no idea why but it runs but the wife has not run a load through since she doesen't have a dryer but no luck on anything else. All the circuit boards were fried as in burnt in the dryer.

As I am typing this post the lights are flickering occasionally.

Lights flickering tells me that you may have a loose or even broken neutral!
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

I'm sorry to hear about your electrical trouble.

The last time I checked (several years ago), Galco had some of the best prices on Delta VFDs.

Call your power company and they may help troubleshoot. Could be a new problem at the line. But I sure would be looking for a new electrician if I was you. Keep your computer unplugged if you don't want to replace it too.

Sorry ti hear of your troubles.
    I'm going to ask the hard question, is your electrician licensed? Sounds to me he mis wired your distribution box, and send 110 to your 220v outlets (corrected later) and perhaps 220 to your fridge. Do you have a volt meter? It's easily checked. You may be out of luck with insurance if he's unlicensed.
    Is your compressor okay?

200 amps? That's a lot of power. Most people get by with 75 or 100 amp service. Perhaps in the modern electronic era 100 amps may not be enough......

Only experience I have with this is when there's an open neutral and a buried phone line connected to ground, or another grounded line that is acting as neutral, then when you disconnect that line and turn something on boom, flickering lights, burnt out things, and a customer who won't believe that the phone company didn't fry their house.

Update I think the problem has been discovered. The AC crew replaced a copper tube because it had a ragged hole about an 1'-1/4 long and burnt around the hole.

I appears the house was struck by lightning at the outside ac unit and it may have jumped to old duck work? and then to the electrial system.

I'm not sure but it seems possible. The Ins, inspector is due sometime in the next day or two. will see what he says.

I am still looking for an affordable VFD replacment since I have a fairly high deductable to meet.