Thread: Dust collector for lathe

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE

Dust collector for lathe

Built this yesterday as a proto-type to collect the miserable dust I get covered with sanding a bowl. I was not sure if it would work well so I slapped it together from a heavy cardboard box and some scrap wood. 4 inch hose in the top back of the box. Holy cow it works way better than I had hoped for.
    I have it kind of tight fitting to the bowl about 20 percent of the diameter of the bowl is within the box with a cut out in the box to clear the chuck . At this point it is working so well I am not even going to try to make something a little more substantial. The wood brackets are attached to the box with hot melt , box ix also reinforced with hot melt .
    For what it is worth......
    mike calabrese

dust collection.jpg

Here is the one I use. Does not wrap around the bowl like yours but is on an adjustable stand. From Woodcraft.
    Attached Images Attached Images

In my experience most of the battle is the airflow from the DC. I have a relatively small nozzle at my lathe and am always surprised at how much it picks up. I've watched fine sanding dust come off a spindle and travel almost 2' horizontally to go into the pickup nozzle. This is with a 5hp Clearvue cyclone.

lathe_dust_pickup.jpg

If I did power sanding on bowls might consider something like you built. However, I quit power sanding with rotating disks years ago. I hated the clouds of dust and what coarse paper did to the surface.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by mike calabrese View Post
    Great looking bowl Mike!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Built this years ago. As I say in the video, sanded for 6 hours and nothing up my nose or even on my glasses. Need to 'new and improve' it so it can stay on the lathe when I turn. Thinking of a fold up section of clear polycarbonate, up for turning and down for sanding, and on a track of some sort. Eventually.... Card board box works also. The more enclosed the piece is, the more dust you collect. I figure the big gulp type hoods get maybe 90% of the dust.

robo hippy

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE
    Brian Thanks for the comment .
    This is my 4th bowl and the first using epoxy resin inlay.
    I learned a bunch here especially that when you make molds to create the resin blanks be sure you close them on the bottom with something solid and seal them completely with hot melt glue or similar.
    The first batch i made I sealed the bottom with strong vinyl tale...THEY ALL LEAKED OUT. The picture here is what remained of the resin after the great escape.
    I am planning a epoxy / maple bottom for this bowl to complement the feature ring when it is finished I will try to post some of the mold / casting details I tried.
    Thanks for looking in.
    mike calabrese

55-4 RESIN POUR 1b.jpg

Forgot to put the link up....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZsVc7qVx7A

robo hippy

Using a drum was freaking brilliant.

Bellmouth hoods positioned close to the workpiece are the most efficient design for DE at the lathe...

http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/foru...low-efficiency

You can make your own bellmouths out of PVC... see posts #3 & #10... http://www.anzlf.com/viewtopic.php?t=8207

... or just turn your own out of wood...

Turned bell mouth on dust hose - sm.jpg

I closely monitor the fine dust levels in my workshop with a PM2.5 μm3 particle counter and I reckon that the bellmouth definitely improves the fine dust collection by at least 10%. If you are going to use a larger shroud at least add a bellmouth at the ducting inlet inside the shroud.
    Neil

About the same distance from most of you heading East or West.

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...