Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Resting planes on their sides vs soles

I just set them down on the bench, but if somebody is freaked out by that then cut a piece of shelf liner or router pad and lay that on your bench or on the shelf underneath your bench. Plop your planes right down on the pad. Felt works, sacrificial piece of plywood, etc., etc.

If common sense is in short supply, woodworking is probably not a suitable hobby.

The more wood working secrets you have to impart , the more free labor you can get ! Here’s one: “ Yes, that’s a block plane ,but I don’t
    ‘wanna see no sandpaper on the sole ! The SOLE use of a plane is planin”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    If common sense is in short supply, woodworking is probably not a suitable hobby.
    Sometimes it seems common sense is a rarity.

There is a saying, "different strokes for different folks." Some people may have their tools crowded about the bench. Setting them upright prevents accidental blade chipping. Others work differently with storage off the bench. Some may have been taught 60 years ago to lay planes on their sides, others were taught differently.

From a previous post:

On the bench the planes are usually set down on their side, old habits and all.

For storage many are kept on their sides on a shelf as this makes it easier to grab the tote.
    Old habits aside sometimes a plane is set on its sole. Being on its side on a shelf allows the shelves to be closer together for more storage.

Plane Shelves.jpg

A few planes are stored in an upright position. Usually in those cases there is one plane behind another.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Two reasons for me why I use some off cuts, and have become particularly fond of these little examples.
    SAM_5131.jpg
    https://i.postimg.cc/hP9Ckb5k/SAM-5131.jpg

I don't wanna muck up me bench top, as I use/ treat/regard my benchtop as the same thing as a surface planer (jointer) table,
    but also for comfort since I use Bailey planes with forward leaning totes,
    infact I use two of those same scraps either end of the bench.

Tom

I use primarily Japanese planes, I tend to put them down on the sole. One reason is that laying on their side, unlike western planes, they are more unstable and likely to fall over.
    I usually have a piece of softwood, Redwood in my shop. where I set planes in between use. A sacrificial board is a simple solution and does not leave the blade exposed to damage or injury.
    Also if you have a dedicated place to set the tool, it's less likely to be knocked off the bench when repositioning lumber.
    JMO

Lots of ways to skin the cat, i typically take the first few shavings from planing and put themin the spot where i rest my planes (upright). This way the plane is ready to grab naturally and i dont have to worry about the edge or my flesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    I use primarily Japanese planes, I tend to put them down on the sole. One reason is that laying on their side, unlike western planes, they are more unstable and likely to fall over.
    I usually have a piece of softwood, Redwood in my shop. where I set planes in between use. A sacrificial board is a simple solution and does not leave the blade exposed to damage or injury.
    Also if you have a dedicated place to set the tool, it's less likely to be knocked off the bench when repositioning lumber.
    JMO

I sometimes lay Japanese planes on their side because they take up less space that way!

One neat thing is that they can hook on the edge of things. Stan Covington described once to hook the planes on the edge of your toolbox and rest the chisels on the lid as you're working (on the floor). I'd not try that working high up on a bench though... for obvious reasons.

I cannot believe that this thread is still running ....

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post

Regards from Perth

Derek
    And yet, you're reading and replying to it! Hang on, we still have HHG, dowels and other minutia to cover again and again. I'm willing to discuss anything, what do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post

Regards from Perth

Derek
    I can't believe I read all the posts !

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rosenthal View Post
    IIRC Rob Cosman had a whole video on the subject. He puts them down on the sole.
    I have a shelf above my bench that they rest on sole down.
    An entire video on how to rest a plane? That's just ridiculous. That's a plain issue of just mailing in a video to keep subscribers on YouTube watching.

Really, I must have missed that video How will I ever know how to put my plane down. I think I'd like like to float mine.

Hmmm-ph...
    Monday Afternoon, Tool Crib 3.JPG

And...
    Monday Afternoon, Tool Crib 1.JPG
    All the big planes are over in the til...
    Monday Afternoon, all put away.JPG
    Or in a case...well, there was one out doing a bit of work..
    Monday Afternoon, needed thinned.JPG
    As a drawer guide needed to be thinner...
    Monday Afternoon, drawer guide.JPG
    Before it got glued in place....and...glue was a bead on the guide, before it was mooshed into place...

YMMV..
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Thanks to all those that ordered a Dyneema mat. Postage is very reasonable.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!