Thread: Goodwill Stores are Likely to be Crowded for Awhile

Blog Entries

Goodwill Stores are Likely to be Crowded for Awhile

Some may remember the news about someone finding a folded copy of the Declaration of Independence concealed in behind a painting a man bought at a flea market for $4 because he wanted the frame about 30 years ago.

Well a similar find happened again to someone in a Goodwill store in Texas.

Candy & I love to look through antique shops, junk shops and estate/yard/garage sales. We often find what are treasures to us. Though some junk hunters may really strike it big:

Laura Young was browsing through a Goodwill store in Austin, Texas, in 2018 when she found a bust for sale. It was resting on the floor, under a table, and had a yellow price tag slapped on its cheek: $34.99. She bought it.

Turns out, it wasn’t just another heavy stone curio suitable for plunking in the garden. It was an actual Roman bust from the late 1st century B.C. or early 1st century A.D., which had been part of a Bavarian king’s art collection from the 19th century until it was looted during World War II.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/06/u...io-museum.html

Roman Bust.jpg

It is currently on display in a Texas Museum with plans to return it to Bavaria from whence it came.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I picked up a brand new (never used) Porter Cable 7539 3hp plunge router with a Router Raizer installed and the original router plunge springs loose in the original box at a Habitat for Humanity for $39 years ago. I think I did much better than she did on her old stone doorstop that she can't even keep!
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 05-09-2022 at 6:13 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schuch View Post
    I picked up a brand new (never used) Porter Cable 7539 3hp plunge router with a Router Raizer installed and the original router plunge springs loose in the original box at a Habitat for Humanity for $39 years ago. I think I did much better than she did on her old stone doorstop that she can't even keep!
    She did receive an undisclosed finder's fee and a 3D printed model of the piece.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)