Thread: AFS1000 Jet Air Filter doesn't work

AFS1000 Jet Air Filter doesn't work

I haven't used it in a couple months, but it used to work fine. Today it barely turns on Low, a bit more on medium, and then shuts off on high. I took the filters out, but it is exactly the same. The outlet runs a 15a router normally. The instruction book says nothing at all.

Any advice?

I guess I'd look at the control board for any damaged components.

See if the blower (s) spins freely by hand with power off. Maybe you got some corrosion on the shaft or bearings while it was sitting unused....Depending on blower/motor type you might be able to lube it.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I guess I'd look at the control board for any damaged components.
    Nothing is discolored or loose. One connection was really bad, but redoing it didn't change anything.

It spun by hand easily enough. I put some oil into it, and it didn't change.

I tried spinning it by hand and then turning it on. It acted like a brake. Trying to spin it faster by hand while it was turning didn't help either.

Since it was cheap to try, I replace the capacitor and it didn't help. A new WEN is cheaper than replacing either the motor or circuit board (and I don't know which is bad...) so actually repairing it is probably not an option at this point.
    I would think that I could wire around the circuit board and have it run on only high. How would I do that? The wiring is shown in:
    https://manualzz.com/doc/53445650/je...m--3-speed--ow

Might not work, but I've got nothing to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Since it was cheap to try, I replace the capacitor and it didn't help. A new WEN is cheaper than replacing either the motor or circuit board (and I don't know which is bad...) so actually repairing it is probably not an option at this point.
    I would think that I could wire around the circuit board and have it run on only high. How would I do that? The wiring is shown in:

Might not work, but I've got nothing to lose.
    I have similar Jet and similar problem: mine only runs on high, no low or med speed; off-delay timers work fine; same output regardless of my inputs = on-board control panel and remote.

I did basic trouble-shooing to find the problem, and motor seems fine. So I'm convinced it is in the on-board electronic control module, tho' I see no obvious damage or magic smoke release. I could replace the baord ($?? - assuming its still available?), perhaps repair it if I can ID the failed surface mount 'chip', or live with it as-is.

I always ran it on high before, so at this point, as-is it is!

In your case, if you want / can live with just high, I'd probably look at wiring the motor direct to a wall switch. I can't open the link to the manual, so not sure the OEM motor will support this? Might mean a motor swap?

(Will try the link again later; can't access my hardcopy at the moment.)

ETA - the link site just let me in. Manual's schematic is useless to determine voltage, so far as I can see. I know its tough to access, but does your motor nameplate have wiring diagram? If so, can you post photo of it? (Too long since I looked at mine.)
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 05-12-2022 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Eureka

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post

Take a look at this...
    http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/2015/01/

Another dirt quick search shows 'black/blue/yellow' motor wires all tied to same 120VAC line source *IGNORE THIS* (for high speed); 'white' motor wire goes to source neutral; green motor wire to source ground.

I do very little with fractional Hp motors and it shows. Other sources say connect only ONE of these blk/blu/ylw wires to source. Not sure what to tell you except consult with a HVAC guru.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 05-12-2022 at 12:48 PM. Reason: IGNORE / Question this

I've got the same unit . Mine doesn't respond to the remote for speed changes , but will for on/off . It's 20 yrs. old , so I'm hanging on and hoping for the best .

I replaced a 2200mf capacitor on the circuit board and it works! Can you believe that, I fixed it!
    If I had know more about electronics I would have noticed that the capacitor was puffed out at the back and saved an awful lot of time.
    The soldering looks like a monkey did it. I am going to try to improve it a bit; sure hope I don't ruin anything.
    Thanks all.
    (I would have been happy to run it on high off a toggle switch, had it come to that.)

Nice going Wade. Go very easy with heat when soldering and be sure to clean off any flux residue, especially if you didn't use solder intended for electronic use. Alcohol usually does the trick and won't harm the electronics.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Great! Electronics, that's above my pay grade.
    The Plane Anarchist

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Nice going Wade. Go very easy with heat when soldering and be sure to clean off any flux residue, especially if you didn't use solder intended for electronic use. Alcohol usually does the trick and won't harm the electronics.
    Thank you... I was wondering about that.

Blog Entries
    James I had an issue with the remote and found it was the buttons. I posted details of the fix here at SMC some time back. The buttons are a standard part and cheap to order.
    I also posted info about the remote circuit board components and such. Hopefully, it will help with your remote.
    A simple test of to see if it is your remote is to use the front camera on an iPhone. It doesn't filter out the IR from the remote's LED. When you press a button on the remote you can see the LED flashing (or not flashing if it is indeed the remote). This works with any IR remote.