Thread: Cabinet Door Edge Profiles - Done with multiple bits or one? Trouble matching

Cabinet Door Edge Profiles - Done with multiple bits or one? Trouble matching

I have a few cabinets that I need to redo some doors on and this is my first foray into cabinet doors, specifically rail and stile. I've got a set matched for those and am good to go there. But now I'm trying to tackle the outer edge profile and it's very basic, but I am unsure as to how these are accomplished as I can't seem to find a bit that does what I'm looking for. Are these potentially done with two bits taking two passes and I need to find the right combination or are they typically a single bit?

This is almost it: https://www.rockler.com/freud-finger-pull-door-lip-bit, but the curved part at the top for these doors is much higher.

It's hard to tell from the pics here: https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shop...s/bt_door.html but it seems like Profile A (6312) at the top seems similar for the bottom half as it's straight, but the top seems wrong, but 7854 seems right for the top part as it's curved, but the bottom part is curved and needs to be straight.

Any help would be most appreciated!

IMG_8486.jpg
    Last edited by Ian Scofield; 05-05-2022 at 9:54 PM.

Blog Entries
    Perhaps it was made with a custom profile cutter for a shaper.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

"A few" sounds like, by the time you round up and purchase the exact match, you've outspent the value of the project.
    From time to time, especially times like this (short run, retentive detailing), it is likely wisest to contact a specialty door manufacturer.
    Walzcraft will blow your mind for sheer variety of profiles offered - bet they've got that one.

If you have just a few to do, a scratch stock might be an option for you.

I need to create about 8' each of base board and trim to finish off a small kitchen remodel. I could not find the base board profile, nor the router bit to make it. So, for $35 I think I have solution for both profiles with the scratch stock. It will take me a bit longer but for such a small job, it's not a big deal.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Perhaps it was made with a custom profile cutter for a shaper.
    100% this.

Some off the shelf Freeborn edge heads.
    page-18-803x1024.jpg