Thread: Dust collection system for DW735 Planer

Dust collection system for DW735 Planer

Just purchased the planer and stand and need advice on how to capture the tailings. Am planning on using a short section of 4" or 2 1/2" flexible tubing into some type of container. Really appreciate your help.

Those planers at one time offered a bag to go on the end to capture chips. Don't know if it is still available or if there may be an aftermarket bag. I used mine outside the shop last week to mill approx. 140 bf of rough lumber. I just shot it out into the yard. I would have had to empty my 30 gallon drum at least twice if I had used the DC.
    Here is one that some have used and seems to work;
    https://www.rockler.com/5-micron-rep...hoCNXsQAvD_BwE
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

A challenge with your plan will be to route the hose and not have it get in the way of the outfeed path without being so long as the blower built into the DeWalt can't push chips through. I use mine with my dust collector and a 5" diameter flexible hose by supporting the hose above the outfeed path until it clears the planer. I don't know if there is a good solution that doesn't involve a powered dust collector. You might be able to come off the back of the planer and take a gentle 45 degree turn to the side you won't be walking on then angle down into a drum. You may be able to mount something of a support off of the stand to keep the hose from drifting down into the way. I'd suggest going with the largest diameter hose you can manage to slow down the hose getting plugged.

If you don't have dust collection of any kind , I'd consider jumping in . It's great to buy the DC that will be the last one you ever need , but most start small . A small DC , moved from tool to tool can be a first step that helps to determine your later choices . It can be a rabbit hole . I do think 2.5" tubing will clog often .

I had that DW735 for several years. My advice:

Get an aftermarket $20 single stage bag and run a short section of 4" pipe from the exit port to it, so the bag is just out of the way of the feed path.

This unit has its own fan, so it is able to quite effectively blow its own chips out the discharge. It's not as good as a real dc, but it's quite passable.
    Planers fill up a dust collector bag quickly, so having its own dedicated bag will make it easier to change.
    Use a 4" short pipe section; 2.5" will clog.

Planer will be inside. Shop is really clean. Trying to decide what micron. bag will work just using the blower on the planer. please advise

After using my DeWalt 735 inside my shop once, I now do all of my planning outside the shop on the driveway, using the DeWalt hose/barrel cover accessory that was originally available for it. You won't have a clean shop after the first time that you use the planer inside the shop, unless you have an awesome dust/chip collection system. Although DeWalt no longer sells this hose/barrel cover accessory, Black & Decker offer a very similar looking hose/barrel cover accessory for one of their lawn/leaf blowers. https://www.blackanddecker.com/produ...er-blower-vacs

If the fitting doesn't connect well to the 735 planer, there is a plastic adapter available from DeWalt.

amazon.com/DEWALT-514001148-Adapter/dp/B00XNO3GY2

You might be able to get both from Amazon.

Charley

Quote Originally Posted by james manutes View Post
    If you don't have dust collection of any kind , I'd consider jumping in . It's great to buy the DC that will be the last one you ever need , but most start small . A small DC , moved from tool to tool can be a first step that helps to determine your later choices . It can be a rabbit hole . I do think 2.5" tubing will clog often .
    I agree with James. I used a Rockler collection bag for a year and developed a nasty night time cough. I think my air quality sucked. Got an Oneida mini gorilla ( ouch expensive ) and my cough cleared.