Thread: Some cross grain boxes

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Some cross grain boxes

Posts about tools and lathes and sharpening are an essential part of a turning board, but I really like seeing pictures of what people are making, and it seems like there's less and less of that (with a couple notable recent exceptions).

I've been playing around with boxes with lids and bases out of different woods. These are kind of at the other end of the turning spectrum from Bruce Jones, super simple, very basic turning, just showcasing some pretty pieces of wood. This has enabled me to use some nice pieces of wood that aren't well suited to make a box from a single piece, and they're also good for figured wood that wouldn't show as well in bowl form. They are straight cylinders, though the camera makes them look otherwise. All 5-6" in diameter and 4-ish inches tall. The second two haven't been buffed yet, they should gain some shine and depth with buffing.

I like the clean look of a flush joint between lid and base but when using mismatched woods they just don't stay flush, so I've resorted to putting a small chamfer on lid and base to obscure small differences in diameter that occur with the seasons. Piston fits on the lids are not a great idea either, for the same reason. I'm a little leery about whether I've left enough room; worst case I'll remount the base and cut the rabbet back.

In order, black ash burl and beech, crotch walnut and cherry, spalted "near crotch" maple and walnut. The ash burl was collected off our land, the maple was in the firewood pile, the walnut crotch was a gift from someone on this board (thanks again!).

Best,

Dave

Capture 215.JPGCapture 216.JPGCapture 217.JPGCapture 218.JPGCapture 219.JPGCapture 220.JPG
    Last edited by Dave Mount; 05-05-2022 at 5:22 PM.