Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dust Port on Delta bandsaw

Dust Port on Delta bandsaw

I have a hard time cutting into a finished thing even to make an improvement. I overcame my phobia and added a dust port to the bandsaw. Big improvement!
    602D440C-FFCA-411B-9823-54572D902457.jpg
    Last edited by Thomas Wilson; 05-04-2022 at 8:21 PM.

Blog Entries
    The dust collection on mine is DIY as well. : )

IMG_0516.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 05-04-2022 at 8:29 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Won the TOP TIP prize in Wood Magazine several years back with my DC port for 14" band saws. No cutting required.

Blog Entries
    I am not super pleased with mine. Thomas Wilsons looks good as good as OEM. I do not find Bruce Wrenn's on the web right away. Bruce, do you have a link or image?
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 05-04-2022 at 9:08 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Won the TOP TIP prize in Wood Magazine several years back with my DC port for 14" band saws. No cutting required.
    So . . . Let's see it .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

It is all about air flow. Some of the designs that use a vacuum hose attachment that attaches right below the table achieve a lot of capture with a vacuum cleaner but base of the door need big cfm. I am using a 5hp smart gorilla pro to overcome the inherent limitations of the design.

Blog Entries
    I cut green wood from time to time and still get build up on the tires even with the vac and dust collector.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    So . . . Let's see it .
    From an old SMC thread I see it is in the June 2010 issue, I still do not find it on the web.
    Best Regards, Maurice

6" split into two 4" ports, one I cut into a 1979 Delta 14" band saw, the other attaches with magnets.

Bandsaw.jpg

My Delta bandsaw has a 1 1/4” vacuum port right below the table. You can see a shadow of it in my original post. I will eventually pipe in a wye to that vacuum port. I doubt it will make much difference. I used to use the vacuum port by itself. It missed a lot of dust.

Thanks guys. I have been hesitant to add a dust port to my new to me bandsaw (1960's Rockwell 19"-20"), need one as it is a dusty mess with the factory setup like Thomas's.
    You are convincing me that this is the right way to go, I thought it would be best just had lots of doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    My Delta bandsaw has a 1 1/4” vacuum port right below the table. You can see a shadow of it in my original post. I will eventually pipe in a wye to that vacuum port. I doubt it will make much difference. I used to use the vacuum port by itself. It missed a lot of dust.

If you do do this, don't expect much if it's piped to a DC. At that size port, about the only thing that's going to be effective is some sort of shop vac.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    From an old SMC thread I see it is in the June 2010 issue, I still do not find it on the web.

Great tip Bruce!

Bruce BS DC Tip.jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    If you do do this, don't expect much if it's piped to a DC. At that size port, about the only thing that's going to be effective is some sort of shop vac.
    Dust collection is already excellent. The DC is the variable speed Oneida. It generates 25 inchH2O. That is nearing vacuum level of suction.
    Last edited by Thomas Wilson; 05-06-2022 at 7:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Great tip Bruce!

Bruce BS DC Tip.jpg
    That is excellent! Lots of air pulled laterally across the blade. That is bound to work.

Here is another approach that directs vacuum flow directly across the blade immediately below the table.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg-d1T7RROc
    He uses a vacuum accessory tool that just happens to be the ideal length and shape to be a snorkel reaching in from the side. The inventor cuts a kerf in the side of the nozzle so that the blade passes through it. The top of the nozzle is opened up so that the spray cone of sawdust from the cut enters the nozzle by its own inertia. The tight kerf on the lower side of nozzle acts as a deflector to stop the saw dust particles so that the lateral air flow can draw them into the dust collector. The inventor says that taping up the kerf behind the blade improves collection a great deal. For efficient collection, this hard to beat.
    Last edited by Thomas Wilson; 05-06-2022 at 8:23 PM.