Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replace Auto Key Fob

Replace Auto Key Fob

One of our battery operated auto key fobs went through the wash. When I replace the batteries, it works for a few days, then goes dead. I've done this twice. The dealership said replacement cost would be about $250. Does anyone know of a less expensive source/way to replace this?

Go to any place that makes keys. They have replacement fobs. You loose a little convince, but you can get a key made that is not a remote, you have to put the key into the door lock. You can also buy replacement fobs on Amazon and Ebay.

That's the going rate for most fobs that require replacement, unfortunately. Be very careful if you consider "used" or "auction site" fobs for less money. In some cases, they cannot actually be reprogrammed and that means it costs you even more. You might shop other dealers and/or contact some higher level locksmith operations who occasionally can do replacement fobs.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

try the rice thing, pull the battery cover and battery, if you can take it apart, take it apart, then put it in a bowl and cover cover it with rice for a couple of days, that should get rid of any residual moisture. Clean it best you can and put it back together, it might actually work right.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I used to get the fobs off of ebay and Amazon for as low as $15 and pay around $50 to get it programed which seemed a much better deal than $350 up here in Canada. Trouble was they would only last about 3 months before the buttons started to fail. I would take it apart to clean the pads but they still failed. This last time I went to a locksmith in town and got a genuine GM fob including programing it for $160 and it is still working now over 3 years later. The ones online look like the originals but aren't and don't last.

Quote Originally Posted by BOB OLINGER View Post
    One of our battery operated auto key fobs went through the wash. When I replace the batteries, it works for a few days, then goes dead. I've done this twice. The dealership said replacement cost would be about $250. Does anyone know of a less expensive source/way to replace this?
    What make vehicle is it.

I replaced the key fob for my Infinity. I don’t recall exactly where I bought it (eBay?), but it was ¼ the price of what the dealer was charging, and works without any issues.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Bought several from ebay, still using them... think the company was in NJ?? Cost was less than 20
    Took to dealer for programming, cost about 30-40 to program

One was for Jeep, one was for Nissan...

Bought a couple fobs for our Chrysler Town and Country off Ebay (used) for less than fifteen bucks each. Following you tube direction, programed them myself.

Blog Entries
    I don’t understand the symptoms. My Chrysler fob is just a single circuit board. If it got wet it should be easy to pry apart and dry. Here’s an idea: take it apart, put in a new battery and leave it disassembled for two days. Then test the battery. If the problem is in the electronics, the battery should be depleted. If the battery is ok, the problem is the case. You can get fob cases cheap.

I live in the Uk but this avenue may be worth exploring I went on the internet and identified a forum for my make of car

On the forum I found a thread which provided information on where to obtain a replacement key at a reasonable price

Or you could place a post on the forum asking for advise

What kind of car is it and how old is it?

Some fobs can be easily replaced and some are just darned expensive. What ever you do stay away from the auto lock guys in the phone book. I had a friend that ended up with a $500 bill to get a key replaced by one of those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    What make vehicle is it.
    Vehicle is a 2015 Ford F150 with push button starting.

Be careful of the new aftermarket FOBs. They are usually very cheap quality. I had one and within a year one of the switches came off the circuit board. I've had good luck with buying used ones off of ebay. Other than water the factory ones are designed to last for more than a decade of use.

I think your best option is to pay the ransom at the dealer and get a new fob from them.