Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: glue 1 surface or 2

Yeah but somebody must have done these test already I would think. I'm talking strictly Titebond original. Never read the label, maybe I should start there.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Dupont View Post
    Would you do anything differently with hide glue?
    Liquid or hot hide glue?

Liquid I'm generally a one side kind of guy. Except I'll size end grain. If I'm getting squeeze out, there's enough glue IME. I rarely use hot hide glue, and it's been a long time now so I'm not going to comment on it.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Hide glue is a whole nuther can of worms.

Yea, but it's just so convenient it's about all I use anymore.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I like hot hide glue and would use it more. I use it when doing a lot of gluing. Since I do mostly small work now its too time consuming. Its great for rub joints cleans up easier and does a good job if not expected to be water resistant. I do rub joints with PVA also. It works about the same but seems a little more delicate for a few minutes longer. I tried liquid hide but don’t use enough. The small bottles never seem to be enough and the big bottles go bad even in the fridge before I can use it. Works fine.
    Jim

Convenient?? No, it's a PIA. Warming up the glue and warming the parts or the whole shop is not convenient to me. I've used quite a bit of it and finally said, enough of this foolishness. Squirt some glue and be done, that's my new motto.

I see you missed where I said I don't use hot hide glue often. But use liquid. Which offers all the convenience of PVA, with all the convenience of hot hide glue..
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

For me it depends on the particular wood, the particular joint, the type of glue and how much stress the joint will be under. For a joint that will be under a lot of strain I will apply glue to both pieces.

I have also found that in many glue-ups the two pieces might not go together immediately, they might stand for a bit while the other pieces have glue applied to them and be assembled. If a mating pair might stand open for a while I will usually coat both sides so they both have a chance to penetrate the wood surface while they are sitting.

When I do apply glue to both sides I usually apply a thinner coat of glue to both sides and less overall glue which results in less squeeze out and less clean up.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hutchings View Post
    Yeah but somebody must have done these test already I would think. I'm talking strictly Titebond original. Never read the label, maybe I should start there.
    The scientist/engineer in me often suggests I try things myself. Before I glued up my latest projects I did that test with the T88 epoxy and samples of the exact wood species. It gave me confidence my project
    would stay together.

Maybe try asking Sir Google. You'll find recommendations, some perhaps from sources you trust. Google even told me Titebond makes it easy to ask application questions: http://www.titebond.com/contact

But if you do it yourself with your wood, surfacing, exact type of glue, amount of glue you apply, working time, and typical clamping pressure then you'll know and it might help others.

Usually both surfaces because it means more glue in the joint with less chance of it running out.

However for M&T it is often better to apply to the mortice only, because glue applied to the tenon can be scraped off when sliding together and make a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hutchings View Post
    Convenient?? No, it's a PIA. Warming up the glue and warming the parts or the whole shop is not convenient to me. I've used quite a bit of it and finally said, enough of this foolishness. Squirt some glue and be done, that's my new motto.
    I agree with that regarding hot hide glue. For any glue up of size, it's very difficult to keep the glue liquid long enough to get the parts together. I can't imagine how our ancestors glued up dovetails with hot hide glue. They must have put a lot of urea into the glue. Or maybe the dovetails were mechanically strong enough that it didn't matter about the glue.

I can easily see why the woodworking industry quickly went to modern glues.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I was taught to use hot hide in 1966. I have glued hundreds of blanket chests, carcases etc, and thousands of drawers. Also thousands of mortise and tenon joints. It helps to have experience. I have never used an additive; it is not necessary or desirable.

I usually glue both surfaces.

I wet both surfaces when I’m gluing up. The one exception is gorilla glue the stuff that foams.
    My reasoning is partly superstition and I discovered poor gluing practice in reclaimed furniture or restoration work. I’ve easily taken apart furniture with just a wiggly line of glue and dowels that hardly had a drop.
    I shouldn’t complain because it makes my job easier.
    If my work where to survive long enough for a restoration someone’s not going to be happy.
    Aj

Hot hide glue for veneering was thin . Stop the vicious cycle of too viscous glue.

Warren, I think you are far beyond a hobbyist. Woodworking day in and day out to make that many glue joints certainly allows for having a glue pot at the ready. I spend 1/2 hour to an hour in my shop and then I'm off to my job or whatever. I think even in retirement I won't be spending that much time Woodworking. Maybe I'll jump to a couple of hour here and there throughout the day so it still won't make a lot of sense for me. At least that's my thoughts right now, not having a crystal ball. Don't get me wrong I do enjoy using it when I have more time but that's rare these days. Give me some Titebond.