Thread: Thin (but thick looking) ash table

Blog Entries

Thin (but thick looking) ash table

A friend asked me to build her a table, and we settled upon Ash for the top.

To be friendlier to her budget, and keep the weight down, the top was built at 3/4" thick.

But, to give the impression of a thicker table, the edges were trimmed and folded over (bookmatch), and full thickness breadboards were used. She wanted to see the pegs, so they are visible on the top side. Danish oil mixed with walnut danish oil was used to slightly tint the top per customer request.

She insisted on a painted base, so poplar was used there. The legs have a slight taper on two sides. This was my first use of dominoes. The goal was for the base to be sturdy/chunky looking, but for the apron to disappear a bit. I also set the lower cross support at footrest height. A 10" overhang on the ends allow seating at the short side of the table.

All touch edges are eased with ~ 1/8" chamfer at 45 degrees.

Seasonal wood movement was accounted for with traditional breadboard install approach, and by using hold down clips in biscuit slots.

Customer was very happy, and it was a fun project. My 16 year old son helped me quite a bit and was paid for his time even

Thanks,

Bob R.

ash top table 1.jpgash top table 3.jpgash top table 2.jpg
    Last edited by Bob Riefer; 05-03-2022 at 10:07 AM.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Very nice Bob! I like the black legs contrast with the top, and I like the color you achieved with the danish oil mix.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

The grain is magnificent! Love it.

Very pretty table! I like your design incorporating the feeling of thickness with respect to a lighter budget! The paint and natural grain play together very well! Nicely done Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Very nice...As others have mentioned, the color and grain are very appealing. You mention an apron, do you have a picture without the top on to illustrate what you did for the support?
    Chris

That’s a spectacular looking top. I count 7 boards not counting the ends.
    Thanks for sharing with us.
    Aj

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys!!!

Christian... I have three long connectors that run between the sets of legs at both sides. Two connectors are near the edge (about 3 inches inset) so they are apron-like. The third is centered so that the diagonal brace has a place to terminate without needing to be fastened into the table top itself. Does that make sense? (I don't have a pic but could sketch it if you like)

Oh, and Andrew, I think there was 8 boards glued edge to edge, but grain match on a couple was pretty darn good.
    - Bob R.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riefer View Post
    Thanks guys!!!

Christian... I have three long connectors that run between the sets of legs at both sides. Two connectors are near the edge (about 3 inches inset) so they are apron-like. The third is centered so that the diagonal brace has a place to terminate without needing to be fastened into the table top itself. Does that make sense? (I don't have a pic but could sketch it if you like)

Oh, and Andrew, I think there was 8 boards glued edge to edge, but grain match on a couple was pretty darn good.
    Thanks, I understand from your description.
    Chris

Excellent job arranging the boards I took a second look. Eight it is
    Aj

Could you share the dimensions? I just happen to have a stack of Ash, and thinking of making a table.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    Hi Rick,
    The top is close to 3.5 feet wide x 8.5 feet long, and stands 29.75 inches tall from floor to top of table surface. The long sides of the table have the legs/apron inset by 3 inches on both sides, and the short sides have a 10 inch overhang (which allows a chair to tuck in while not in use, and also comfortably keeps knees from bumping while seated). The lower cross bar on the legs assembly is set with top at footrest height of about 14.5 inches - when seated at the end of the table, it's a nice place to put your feet up.

Also, the legs are nearly 3 inch square, with a 1/2 inch taper below the foot rest cross bar. The connectors (aprons, foot rest etc.) are 1.5 inches x 2.5 inches each.

Thanks!

Bob R.
    Last edited by Bob Riefer; 05-06-2022 at 9:21 AM.
    - Bob R.

Thanks Bob, appreciate it.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Great looking table and the best part might be the help from your son!
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

At last real wood has beaten the wildest faux-finish-fakes !! Now it’s time to sell that design to a laminate manufacturer ! James Bond
    would ,for once say “stirred…not shaken “.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 05-08-2022 at 1:46 AM.