Thread: Thin (but thick looking) ash table

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Thin (but thick looking) ash table

A friend asked me to build her a table, and we settled upon Ash for the top.

To be friendlier to her budget, and keep the weight down, the top was built at 3/4" thick.

But, to give the impression of a thicker table, the edges were trimmed and folded over (bookmatch), and full thickness breadboards were used. She wanted to see the pegs, so they are visible on the top side. Danish oil mixed with walnut danish oil was used to slightly tint the top per customer request.

She insisted on a painted base, so poplar was used there. The legs have a slight taper on two sides. This was my first use of dominoes. The goal was for the base to be sturdy/chunky looking, but for the apron to disappear a bit. I also set the lower cross support at footrest height. A 10" overhang on the ends allow seating at the short side of the table.

All touch edges are eased with ~ 1/8" chamfer at 45 degrees.

Seasonal wood movement was accounted for with traditional breadboard install approach, and by using hold down clips in biscuit slots.

Customer was very happy, and it was a fun project. My 16 year old son helped me quite a bit and was paid for his time even

Thanks,

Bob R.

ash top table 1.jpgash top table 3.jpgash top table 2.jpg
    Last edited by Bob Riefer; 05-03-2022 at 10:07 AM.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)