Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I hate rusty saws, but...

I hate rusty saws, but...

I just saw an ad for 7 rusty saws for $25 and I may not be able to resist. One has the thumbhole but broken horn. It might be worth buying the whole lot but I'll have to get better at cleaning them up. I hate the mess. Hopefully someone will buy them before I decide to bite the bullet.

Blog Entries
    My late friend the Artist J.J.Froese bought every rusty handsaw he ever came across just to keep folks from painting Farm scenes on them.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    Repairing a the horn on a saw handle isn't difficult > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?179013 < for a post on one of my saw handle repairs.

For me it would depend on how badly rusted are the saw plates. With light rust old saws can be cleaned up and put to use. Spares can be used to make scrapers or even marking knives:

Saw Blade Marking Knife knives.jpg

This is my go to knife for dovetail marking made from a piece of broken saw blade.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Timely reply Jim. Thanks for the link. I just got an old Disston backsaw with a broken top horn, and was going to ask about horn replacement! I have a piece of apple. So, looking at my handle, and the little tracing I did on my kids' white board, I'm assuming I want to do a diagonal cut, right, like number 1? Then have the grain of the repair be in-line with the rest of the handle? Otherwise it would be gluing up end grain to end grain. I was planning on using a clear epoxy. Thanks for any suggestions/tips.

20220502_133459.jpg
    20220502_133520.jpg
    20220502_133544.jpg
    20220502_133556.jpg
    20220502_133949.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    My late friend the Artist J.J.Froese bought every rusty handsaw he ever came across just to keep folks from painting Farm scenes on them.
    Maurice, I recently removed a farm scene from a two man crosscut saw and put it back into service for wilderness trail clearing where motorized chainsaws are not allowed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Zor View Post
    Maurice, I recently removed a farm scene from a two man crosscut saw and put it back into service for wilderness trail clearing where motorized chainsaws are not allowed.
    That is great! I will pass it along to the Froese family. Ironically If Prof. Froese's Health had held, his saw collection might have ended up as one of his "assemblages". It would have been an honorarium to the beloved Handsaw as he was also a skilled woodworker.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    So, looking at my handle, and the little tracing I did on my kids' white board, I'm assuming I want to do a diagonal cut, right, like number 1? Then have the grain of the repair be in-line with the rest of the handle?
    If that is the best grain alignment, then yes. Otherwise my inclination might be to go a little further with line #3:

Handle Repair.png

This would take a little more wood but would increase the gluing surface area.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Thank you for the reply!

Blog Entries
    Here is the one I am trying to get my nerve up to finally try fling. The first time I visited Grandpa after having gotten engaged he quietly and unceremoniously gave me this saw and said nothing more than "This is the wedding gift given to me by your Grandmother". I do not know if it was because I was the first (not the youngest) of the 14 grandchildren to get engaged or if is is because I was the one who would keep trying to help nail down the new corrugated roofing on the chicken house roof even after I had smashed and bloodied the finger and thumb of my left hand. Or it might have been my willingness to crawl into the crawlspace that only a small person could fit into install insulation. Or maybe these things gave him a good idea that I would not be painting farm scenes on it. It has been in my kit for 40 years.

IMG_0513.jpg
    Best Regards, Maurice

Hey Maurice, nice keepsake.

I've seen saws like this before and wonder if it's a design or just been sharpened a million times. There's not much steel left out at the end.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hutchings View Post
    I've seen saws like this before and wonder if it's a design or just been sharpened a million times. There's not much steel left out at the end.
    Someone who used that saw all the time likely did sharpen it a million times.

jtk

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the interest In Grand Pa's Saw. I am having second thoughts about filing it. Maybe a just a clean up and nice place to hang. It pre-dates my mom. Here she is, the oldest of the 3 kids.

Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 6.27.07 AM.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 05-05-2022 at 3:23 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Worn down by sharpening? Why was it sharpened only at one end.

Blog Entries
    It was not sharpened only at one end. I broke the tip off trying to use it as a compass saw (which was a thing Grandpa said it was good for, being so skinny at the end). I am more worried about the broken teeth and lack of width.

IMG_0533.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 05-06-2022 at 6:08 PM. Reason: One from my youth compared to Granddads
    Best Regards, Maurice