Thread: Three bowls cored from heavily spalted Ficus

Three bowls cored from heavily spalted Ficus

One of our Brasstown [NC] Woodturner guys brought a truckload of woodturning blanks to our last meeting, and shared them with the rest of the members. I took home a piece labeled "ficus"; I can't attest to the species, but it was FUN to turn. Thanks for the wood, Talmadge Murphy.

I put it on a face plate on the flat side to begin, and turned the outside of the half-log round, and put on a tenon. Then I removed the face plate, reversed it using the chuck, and flattened the inside face, and added a tenon there as well. I then mounted my BowlSaver Max3 (from Kiwi-Land), and cored out 3 bowls, working from outside in. The tenon on the flat side enabled me to easily mount the remaining wood and cut a tenon on the round side, for each of the next two bowls. The bowls were 14", 12" and 10" diameter. Because the wood was dry already, I didn't have to worry about twice-turning.

The wood was spectacularly spalted, as you can see from the photos. There were some punky areas, and I used thinned epoxy as a wood stabilizer (thin with + 25% alcohol, then apply heavily to the punky areas; the epoxy is thin enough to soak in, stiffening the soft wood fibers). After the final cuts on the lathe, I applied several coats of FGCI's Ultra Clear epoxy, giving everything a high-gloss finish. (I was using my self-made 'Epoxinator,' a slow-rotator powered by a BBQ spit motor, 2-3 rpm, to keep the epoxy in place with constantly-changing gravity forces.)

IMG_20220428_142033231~2.jpg
    The three bowls, nested and aligned.

Screenshot 2022-05-01 7.06.10 PM.jpg
    The 'baby-bear' bowl, about 10 inches. The pith shows at the top, and 'SE' corner, as well. All 3 bowls showed this rich-brown pith wood.

Screenshot 2022-05-01 7.03.05 PM.jpg
    The 'mama-bear' bowl, about 12 inches.

Screenshot 2022-05-01 7.09.27 PM.jpg
    And finally, the 'papa-bear' bowl, about 14 inches (5" height).

I had read comments that ficus was bland in color, and generally too small to make much of. In this case, wrong and wrong.

Robert

Ficus come in all sizes - from small, potted house plants to 30' fig trees. When we were in Costa Rica a few years ago, the Strangler Ficus were huge. They essentially grow around an existing tree in the rain forest, grow completely around their host, killing it in the process. They grew to enormous sizes.

All three are beautiful but I'm loving that 14.