Thread: Question for Laguna Bandsaw Owners

Question for Laguna Bandsaw Owners

Does anyone own a Laguna bandsaw whose base is approximately 18" wide? If so, what model is your saw? Additionally, if you have a semi-live skid base on your saw with 2 wheels on the spine side and a spot for a Johnson bar on the opposite (i.e. front) side, what model is that base?

I recently got a Harvey Alpha HW615P bandsaw, which is very similar to the Laguna models in overall design (I believe Harvey used to make saws for Laguna). Harvey sells their own mobile base that is plywood based and is otherwise very similar to the Portamate style bases. They gave me this base for free when my saw wasn't shipped on time. I don't really like this style base though, and I want to go with a semi-live skid style instead.

Thankfully, the base on the Harvey is already prepped for this kind of base, as it has holes for the axle on the spine side, and tapped holes in front for the bracket where the Johnson bar would go. I ordered what I *thought* would be the correct base from Beaver Industrial Supply, however it's the wrong base (axle length is too short, and wrong design despite the pictures on their website). Information I previously got from Harvey is that I need a base that fits the Laguna 618, although I'm not exactly sure which saw they are referring to there (Laguna name designations are all over the place), nor what width the base has on that particular saw. Is that the same as the 18|bx and/or 18|cx saw?

To make things worse, it looks like Laguna has changed the design of their bases over the years but has continued the same product numbers. I've seen different pictures / styles for the "same" base. I even asked Acme tools if they would open up a box for me to see the exact base style, but they refused.

I was hoping someone out there had a Laguna with an 18" wide base and could tell me the exact product number of that saw. And if they had a semi-live skid base, even better if they could tell me the base model. Thanks!
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Not quite following your train of thought but my 18Bx base is 19.5" x27"; part # is mband18bx2203. I stopped using the factory tricycle setup in favor of a plywood base and total lock wheels purchased off amazon; a bit taller but lightyears more stable on uneven floors where cracks are present.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Crivello View Post
    Not quite following your train of thought but my 18Bx base is 19.5" x27"; part # is mband18bx2203. I stopped using the factory tricycle setup in favor of a plywood base and total lock wheels purchased off amazon; a bit taller but lightyears more stable on uneven floors where cracks are present.
    That’s exactly what I’m looking for. Do you happen to have pictures of the base you used to have? I’ve seen conflicting pictures for even the one you mentioned.

I have full casters on a homemade base on my older 14” bandsaw and it works. But for this bigger saw I want the 3 point style, mostly because it should work great for my needs.

I just looked now and the product number you provided is of the saw itself. The factory base setup for that seems to have the 2 fixed wheels in the "front" and the 3rd rotating wheel at the base of the spine. I'm looking for the reverse setup for my saw, with the 2 fixed wheels at the base of the spine the 3rd "wheel" just being a bracket into which I'll hook a Johnson bar. I don't know if they make that style base for that model saw or not.

18bx base.jpg

Steve,

This is what I've got. The holes are approximately 16.5" apart; the design is such that it can easily be adapted to other models via drilling/tapping the base of the saw or adding the appropriate holes to the mobility kit.

I spent good money on this factory base and not using it; if you think you're able to put it to good use I'm happy to send it your way. Pay it forward..

Steve, look at the Rikon mobile base for the 10-325 and/or 10-326. I don't know the exact measurements but it is just as you described. I have that base and converted it by adding a swivelling caster that you push on to raise the saw to move. It is the same style that Laguna has on some of their saws. I can tell you that even with this setup, the saw can be a bit tippey if you are not careful. Even with the original pull bar it was tippey. I did not like that setup because of space constraints in my shop, it was a pain to maneuver. That's the reason I changed it.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

18bx base.jpg

Steve,

This is what I've got. The holes are approximately 16.5" apart; the design is such that it can easily be adapted to other models via drilling/tapping the base of the saw or adding the appropriate holes to the mobility kit.

I spent good money on this factory base and not using it; if you think you're able to put it to good use I'm happy to send it your way. Pay it forward..
    That is indeed what I thought that model base looked like. Unfortunately, that is the opposite of what I want. I want the fixed wheels at the bottom of the spine. Thanks for the offer, but that base won't work for me.

Can't give you any specifics or links but my laguna lt18's factory mobility kit is nothing more than an axel, two plastic wheeles held on with cotter pins, and an l bracket bolted to the front of the saw. The johnson bar is tube steel with another pair of plastic wheels.

What I'm gettign at is...........it's nothing special or propritary. You could easily souce or make your own. Or order one from laguna.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eure View Post
    Steve, look at the Rikon mobile base for the 10-325 and/or 10-326. I don't know the exact measurements but it is just as you described. I have that base and converted it by adding a swivelling caster that you push on to raise the saw to move. It is the same style that Laguna has on some of their saws. I can tell you that even with this setup, the saw can be a bit tippey if you are not careful. Even with the original pull bar it was tippey. I did not like that setup because of space constraints in my shop, it was a pain to maneuver. That's the reason I changed it.
    That base look more like what I want, although the one I found on Amazon has a foot pedal style for the 3rd wheel rather than a Johnson bar. I'm expecting the saw to be a little tippy in this setup, but hopefully not too bad.

My shop is tight but I plan to leave the spine edge of the saw up against the wall and only pull it straight out to use it, then push it back in when done. The semi-live skid design is perfect for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Can't give you any specifics or links but my laguna lt18's factory mobility kit is nothing more than an axel, two plastic wheeles held on with cotter pins, and an l bracket bolted to the front of the saw. The johnson bar is tube steel with another pair of plastic wheels.

What I'm gettign at is...........it's nothing special or propritary. You could easily souce or make your own. Or order one from laguna.
    That's probably exactly the design I want. You say your saw is an LT18? The base on that is apparently around 15" wide, so the axle on that one might not be long enough for my needs. Do you have a picture of your base setup?

I know this style is not anything unique; both of my Hammer machines have the exact same style. Worst case is I try to make my own that work with the Johnson bar I already have, but right now that's more work than I want to do. lol

LT18 base is 400mm wide

LT18 wheel.jpgLT18 bar.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    LT18 base is 400mm wide

LT18 wheel.jpgLT18 bar.jpg
    Thanks. That model is definitely narrow than I need, but otherwise that's the general style I want.

The Harvey saws are setup so the front bracket is actually just a single "straight" piece that is bolted onto the top of the base, rather than a bracket that goes across the entire front width. It works this way because the main housing with the wheels is offset to the left rather than being right down the middle of the base, and so there are threaded holes in the base just to the right of the main housing. Standard rubber-based feet are then threaded into those holes where your bracket is attached. But if all I can find is one like yours with a full front bracket, then I can probably make that work.

Now to see if Laguna makes a saw with a wider base...