Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Can I drill a 1 3/4” hole through a manhole cover

In the San Francisco are when a home is sold they pump smoke into the sanitary sewer. Any leaks out of the ground or downspouts connected must be fixed before sale can go through.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    In the San Francisco are when a home is sold they pump smoke into the sanitary sewer. Any leaks out of the ground or downspouts connected must be fixed before sale can go through.
    The city I previously lived in replaced everyone's water meter. Here in Minnesota they are all inside the houses. As part of the water meter replacement project the city also inspected to be sure sump pumps were not dumping into city sewers. I recall they would not install your meter if you failed the sump pump check. The city would give you a grant to pay 50% of the cost to remedy the problem I think up to $500. You had to fail the first inspection to get the grant.

I failed the sump pump inspection and spent a lot of time installing a 2" poly line about 200 feet to a spot where the water would drain into a small lake. I had to do some calculations to verify my sump pump could pump that far. I calculated I was pumping around 1,000 gallons per day which was much more than the ground could absorb. I had previously tried a small dry well which didn't work and just resorted to dumping the water into the sewer.

Maybe my standards are too high but I can’t believe you went ahead with this without knowing if you were legally allowed to.

Good thing you got the warning letter before they fined you.
    The problem with dumping into the the sewer system is a big rain will overflow the sewer treatment plant and flood untreated sewage out. You sewer bills have to pay for the fines when that happens, tens of thousands of dollars a day.
    Bill D