Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can I drill a 1 3/4” hole through a manhole cover

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    So they don't fall through the hole.
    Absolutely correct. Most other shapes can fall completely or partially (a triangle) through the hole.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

far more dangerous is a well in the front of the property. There’s a (about) 24” diameter section of concrete sewer pipe sunk verticall in the ground. The only cover is a chunk of slate or bluestone that weighs a lot. I can slide it aside but our grandkids can’t…yet. I would like to fill it in with something but I just haven’t taken the time to look into it.[/QUOTE]

Plugging a well is a legal process that if done wrong can have massive consequences. Sure you can fill it in with dirt and hope for the best. But if ground water leaks into the aquafier and contaminates it you are legally on the hook for remediation costs. Probably not a huge issue where it rains a lot.
    Bill D

As for the well check with your local health department. At least here since they do water testing and approve septic systems etc they also tell you how they require a well to be filled. I believe they require bentonite to fill it and seal it. That's the people to start with anyway. They might defer to someone else but it's a starting point.

If that is storm water drain, I really doubt the city wants water with chemicals coming in. You will likely be fined for modifying the drain and dumping unknown water down it. It may go directly to a stream or creek. Please be a good citizen and check on the ecologically impact. I turned in my neighbor when I saw him draining the oil out of lawn mower into the storm drain in his back yard. Each person impacts the health of our planet!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    hat is I turned in my neighbor when I saw him draining the oil out of lawn mower into the storm drain in his back yard.
    Yikes! Hard to believe someone would do that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Yikes! Hard to believe someone would do that.
    The human race may be an intelligent species but individuals, including groups of individuals, can be idiots when thinking only of their own needs and/or convenience.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the great advice. I barely got my solution installed when I got a letter from the city saying that I can’t pump chlorinated water into the rain sewer. So I had to take it out. Now I’m back in my former dilemma. The place in our yard where we pumped it before got pretty swampy. I need to figure out a way to put it on our yard without over-watering.

Blog Entries
    Let your pool sit until the chlorine level tests zero then you should be ok to dump into the storm sewer.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    ... we pumped it ...
    Does this pump produce 25-30psi? If so, run it to a dedicated geared sprinkler head or maybe a good ol' fashion impact head that will throw it in a 35-40ft radius. Maybe tie pump into existing sprinkler circuit if you have such, just make sure you have check valves to prevent backflow.

Last casa had code-required fire sprinklers. Annual test dumped water out a 3/4" line on the side of the house. Rather than 'puddle' the test water in the flower beds, test tech screwed on a 180deg sprinkler head :: testing watered that area of the lawn.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 05-13-2022 at 9:48 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Let your pool sit until the chlorine level tests zero then you should be ok to dump into the storm sewer.
    pumping it down for the end of the season isn’t the problem. It’s the 100 gallon back flush that we do at least weekly.

Back flush into a rubbermaid stock trough. Let it sit a few days for the chlorine to dissapear ten sump pump to water the lawn. Actually most plants can withsand some chlorine.
    Sounds like too much back flushing. Do you wait for filter pressure to double before back flushing or at least get to 20 PSI? Normally a clean filter should run about 10 PSI. Back flush when it gets to 20 PSI.
    I just replaced my pump with a Black and Decker variable speed pump. Saves a ton of energy. I run it at about 100 watts 12+ hours a day.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Will your sanitary sewer (there's an oxymoron) not handle the back flush? 100 gallons isn't that much.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Will your sanitary sewer (there's an oxymoron) not handle the back flush? 100 gallons isn't that much.
    the unique layout of the property puts any clean out too far away. If I want to drain into the sanitary sewer, the shortest route would be to run a pipe through a crawl space into the cellar.

I rerouted the discharge hose to the back yard where it will empty out on the grass. I can move it around to avoid a swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Tap water is allowed to be 4 parts per M and pool water is between 1 to 3 parts per m

Blog Entries
    I did a very similar hack in a nearly identical setting. It was for a 4 inch PVC downspout drain with a sump pump discharge teed into it. I went down stream from the manhole cover and un-earthed the 12 inch ductile iron pipe and drilled through the top of that with a 4 3/8 Lenox bi-metal hole saw in the SDS drill with plenty of cutting oil. It is a city owned storm drain on private property within a utility easement. My friend was the chief engineer for the contractor that installed the inlet with manhole cover and pipe 10 years earlier. My engineer friend saw what I did and said "You better hope nobody ever finds out that you did that"

IMG_0538.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 05-13-2022 at 8:48 PM. Reason: SDS hole saw rig image
    Best Regards, Maurice