Thread: Chair class with George Sawyer

Chair class with George Sawyer

Warning: a couple of power tools were used in the construction of this chair. So if I'm in the wrong part of the forum feel free to move this post.

Last week I headed to Vermont to take a balloon back chair class at the Sawyer Made shop in South Woodbury. It was seven days of learning, working, delightful conversation and some good laughs. The only thing I am sorry about is waiting so long to finally commit to a week off work and the cost of the class, which in hindsight is worth every penny. I've been wanting to make chairs for some time, but somehow always find an excuse to not start. Not having the right tool, or wood species or knowing exactly how to make that cut or drill that mortice. So for me, a hobby woodworker with little experience, this class was perfect. There is no comparison between reading books (even if they are thoughtfully written with exceptional explanation and detail) and having an experienced chairmaker right behind you to answer your question or better yet, guide you to finding the solution to your own problem. Every step of the process was explained, including multiple ways to skin the same cat. Every specialty chairmaking tool was covered including edge maintenance and care. And all the tricks for fixing mistakes and making corrections were covered since either myself or my classmates made every effort to botch our balloon backs. If you have an interest in taking a chair class but are on the fence about it, DO IT! I wish I'd have taken this class 8 years ago, the cost was less then and I'd be eight years into making more chairs and being a better woodworker. Now I'm off to copy a three legged stool that I studied in George's shop. He was kind enough to help me develop a pattern and sell me the raw materials to take home to Montana.

DD33A5A9-9AAD-402E-A1FE-72D8B08EECC6.jpgE5709C0B-30A3-4971-AF6B-CC6848AAA545.jpg1A32D29E-2A6F-41E2-9FB1-297A9C13E739.jpg0441945E-74F6-4055-A89E-3721D6DFAB87.jpgDD282600-BE06-4B57-B00A-0ACAE4EC0AD1.jpg

Also, even though I border on being in the millennial generation, I have no idea why the pictures are sideways and upside down. Use your imagination. Or turn your computer on it’s side.

Nice work!! Now you can jump into acquiring all the neat chair making tools. Enjoy the journey, the road gets easier and the scenery better with each chair.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Thanks John! I’ve been meaning to make chairs for some time, so I’ve got most of what I need. I dragged a couple crusty drawknives along to get a second opinion. I had enough extra time to re-establish bevels and clear most of the pitting on em. The other tools I’ve been slowly buying from small makers, the one piece I’m still missing however is a shavehorse. I’ll be building that next.

David, I made my shavehorse from Tim Maney’s plans and it works great.

Left click my name for homepage link.

David, that's the nicest looking shavehorse I think I've ever seen. I like good looking legs.

Yes Tom. That staked shavehorse was great and attractive to boot.

John, I purchased Tim Manney’s plans a while back. That shavehorse is on my neverending to-do list.

This post does belong in the hand tool forum, power tool guys would be flummoxed.