Thread: Insect ID

Insect ID

Anyone know of a free phone app that's good at identifying insects? Found some red colored insects by the apple trees at my cabin and I'd like to know if they're friend or foe. I tried Google image lookup and it told me the picture was of soil, no kidding, how 'bout the red bug in the middle?
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Blog Entries
    Jerry, is there any way you could post an image of this insect?

Maybe include something to indicate size.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Here you go Jim. It's about 1 1/2 to 2 times the size of a pin head.
    IMG_0471.jpg IMG_0472.jpgIMG_0473.jpg
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Blog Entries
    That looks like a type of mite.

There are many varieties of red mites, this is one > https://www.landmarkhw.com/resources...stations/9/167

For an identification via application you might need to get a much closer shot or take a picture through a magnifier. You might be able to enlarge and crop the image you have.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    That looks like a type of mite.

There are many varieties of red mites, this is one > https://www.landmarkhw.com/resources...stations/9/167

For an identification via application you might need to get a much closer shot or take a picture through a magnifier. You might be able to enlarge and crop the image you have.

jtk
    Thanks Jim. Clover mite would make sense, those apple trees are on the edge of a food plot that has about four types of clover planted in it. I don't think they could eat a half are of clover though.

Blog Entries
    Your third photo appears to show that it has 8 legs, which makes it a Arthropod not an insect. I believe it is one of several genera (Amblyseius, Balaustrium, Phytoseiulus, etc.), many of them are red in color (but green, orange, and yellow are also possible), and they are all beneficial, since they feed on pest mites
    spider-mites-what-are-the-little-red-bugs.jpg

Link
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

O agree with Lee...juvenile spider, likely related to the orb weaver.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Looks like a tick to me, and since it's red, might be a deer tick (instead of a wood tick), and ticks do have 8 legs-

>edit< -or, could be you have a red velvet mite--
    bug.jpg
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 04-30-2022 at 9:38 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Looks like a tick to me, and since it's red, might be a deer tick (instead of a wood tick), and ticks do have 8 legs-

>edit< -or, could be you have a red velvet mite--
    bug.jpg
    It is definitely not a deer tick..Ticks have small heads so they can burrow into the animal to get blood.
    tick.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute