Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mantel mechanical clock recommendation

Mantel mechanical clock recommendation

I am looking for chiming mechanical mantel clock as a present for my wife. Obviously best place to look - internet ). And spent hours to decide which one is good quality, long life mechanism to buy.
    Does anybody has a world of wisdom what to look? Which company make a good clock, where to buy it?

Thank you,
    Ed.

Do you want a finished clock, or just a movement for you to make the housing?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Look for Seth Thomas, Howard Miller, or Hermle,
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Look for Seth Thomas, Howard Miller, or Hermle,
    This would be my first choices. FIL had a Seth Thomas that he got when he was first married it was still keeping perfect time when we sold it at auction 50 years later. We have a Hermle that we got the year we were married back in 1971 and it is still keeping great time and my Sister in law has the Howard Miller that only needed repairing once in 45 years. So I am familiar with all 3

I'm a huge fan of Atmos clocks. They are made by Jaeger-LeCoultre.

Amazing mechanism. Mine has been running continuously, without ever being wound for almost 60 years now. It winds itself with minute changes in atmospheric pressure and temperature. You should google "Atmos Clock". They are fascinating. It makes you think it violates the second law of thermodynamics.

I don't believe they have chiming versions, though.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Just went down the rabbit hole of mechanical clock repair before realizing it wasn’t something I should pursue. I learned a lot on the Facebook page “Clock repair and restoration”. They are as friendly and helpful as the members here. You might ask there for a reputable source in your area. Lots of potential pitfalls buying from an unvetted source. Beware, it’s a fascinating subject.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

I LOVE clocks, especially 'real' clocks - our home is filled with them! Our real clocks include a Ridgeway Grandfather, a Howard Miller 'Grandmother', 2 German made cuckoo clocks, and my favorite, a John Harrison Sea Clock--
    seaclock.jpg
    --has a grasshopper escapement that's fascinating to watch!

I was going to suggest a Ridgeway, but I found they only manufacture grandfather clocks...

All of the above suggestions are great-- MY suggestion would be to take the time to further research any clocks you like; find videos and watch them work, like this one below,

I've never heard of this brand but one can tell by looking that it's a nice clock (should be for just under $700)-
    The video didn't play the chime, so I found the same clock on another website that has a link to the sound:
    https://www.theclockdepot.com/clock_...ll-strike.html
    I notice the sound doesn't work on one my computers ,works fine in the other? Anyway, personally I LIKE this clock, it's one I'd consider if I was looking!

Anyway, look for video's and sounds of clocks you like, it'll make a difference!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

While not mechanical, my favorite mantel clock is this Junghans Mega radio-controlled clock. I bought this one many years ago when radio-controlled clocks were just becoming widely available. It uses a C-sized battery which lasts a long time.

Here's a picture of mine, but it has a lot of reflections in the glass.
    Junghans Mega clock-1.jpg

This picture from the web shows what it looks like a bit better.
    Junghans Mega clock.jpg

I don't think Junghans makes them anymore. Looks like they've gone to wrist watches only.

I just like these radio-controlled clocks.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Consider buying used from a clock repair shop. They are often consigned clocks from estates. A few years back, I spent close to $200 to have wife's grandmother's clock rebushed. In the over 100 years it had been running, the holes in the brass plate wore out

Guys, thank you very much for information. My only criterias for clock - mechanical and chimes. I found a few sites on internet - wow, prices from $500 to $12K. Going to indulge myself in multiple videos to investigate.
    What do you think about this one - Tellurium III Clock by Hermle ? my only concern, I can not place it on mantel, nobody will enjoy figurine movements. But from other side - excuse to build a stand.

Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Consider buying used from a clock repair shop. They are often consigned clocks from estates. A few years back, I spent close to $200 to have wife's grandmother's clock rebushed. In the over 100 years it had been running, the holes in the brass plate wore out
    We have grandfather clock and mantel clock, both bought used. In last fifteen years - rebushed both. For last year, mantel clock start giving us problem with precision time and occasional missing chimes.
    Ed.

Wow, this John Harrison Sea Clock amazing.
    Ed.

Alan, you help me to discover something beyond my imagination. Perpetuum mobile - incredible. Unfortunately not in my search parameters. But amazing.
    Ed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I'm a huge fan of Atmos clocks. They are made by Jaeger-LeCoultre.

Amazing mechanism. Mine has been running continuously, without ever being wound for almost 60 years now. It winds itself with minute changes in atmospheric pressure and temperature. You should google "Atmos Clock". They are fascinating. It makes you think it violates the second law of thermodynamics.

I don't believe they have chiming versions, though.

Check out this webpage, especially the pics & video of the Astro-Skeleton clock, most fascinating piece of machinery I've ever seen

http://www.my-time-machines.net/

(won't fit on a mantle tho)
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Do yourself a favor and take a weekend trip up to Lancaster county (beautiful almost any time, especially in spring) and go the the National Watch and Clock Museum for inspiration, and then buy a nice old clock from a reputable repair/restoration person. You can have a vastly better clock for the money buying old rather than new. Many of the movements in newer clocks are made of inferior brass that just doesn't last-- unless you go for a clockmaker like David Lindow, who is out of most people's price range. You can get old clocks from any of the Connecticut and MA clock companies of 100-150 year old vintage that are great movements that, with care, will run forever, and very often come in much nicer cases than contemporary clocks.

I do recommend going to a restorer and buying a fully reconditioned old clock. Clocks off ebay or the local antique mall are often in very bad shape, missing parts, or damaged to the point of irreparability. Periodic maintenance on an old clock should run $100-250, depending on the movement, and be done once a decade or so. You will find that many, probably most good clock repair folks will refuse to work on modern clocks due to their low quality-- too many unhappy customers from repeated failures of various components. Major restoration can easily run 2-3 times that, and repairing an ebay basket case double that again. Most good clock repair guys are backlogged 12-18 months or more, so finding a clock they've already fixed is a time saver.

Shelf clocks with chimes from the 1920s to 40's frequently need only cleaning and minor repairs to run well and are relatively inexpensive to buy.