Thread: Opinion of Hamlet Glenn Lucas tools

Opinion of Hamlet Glenn Lucas tools

Hi,

I'm a novice turner, turning to support my flat work. I would like to turn more, including bowls.

On to my question. I have the opportunity to buy some little used Hamlet Glenn Lucas tools at 50% of current prices. Is the brand in general viewed favorably? I think he has some HAmlet non-Lucas tools too. At 50%, should I buy whatever I can snatch up that is not a duplicate? He also has quite a few Robert Sorby tools available. Same question, though I assume that Sorby aren't terrible.

I need to go back in the morning, so if you have an opinion, please share quickly.

Thanks,

Jeff

Both brands are excellent tools. Get what you can.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Ditto what Don said.

Give me their contact info and I'll buy all his Hamlet tools - Glenn Lucas and all. Hamlet are excellent tools with parabolic flutes. Sorby gouges have parabolic flutes also but I'm partial to Hamlet.

Only question I would have about them is are they M42 HSS or standard M2 HSS. I really prefer the M42 because of edge durability, and that difference is a lot. They are good tools no matter what.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Only question I would have about them is are they M42 HSS or standard M2 HSS. I really prefer the M42 because of edge durability, and that difference is a lot. They are good tools no matter what.

robo hippy
    I agree, if they are M2 you are on a winner and if M42 you are on a big winner!
    Neil

About the same distance from most of you heading East or West.

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...