Thread: Looking for slides for a broom "closet" drawer

Looking for slides for a broom "closet" drawer

What are the options for a very stiff 30" drawer slides? A customer has asked for a broom closet for their kitchen I'm building. I've mocked it up, and it will have black pegboard for hanging brooms, etc.

http://www.fultererusa.com/product.asp?id=34

The Fulterer units are about $360. Are there any other options?

Blum heavy duty 30" slides are strong enough but not stiff enough, so the drawer sags when pulled out, such that it leans outward.

IMG_2587.jpg
    IMG_2586.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Any way you can modify the design to allow the insert to roll out on wheels, with some guides to constrain it to desired movement? Otherwise, I'd be looking at pantry roll out slides; a quick search shows they are available up to 44".
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

You could possibly use 2 sets of side mount slides. 1 at the top and 1 at the bottom. I have done that on a pantry in the past and it worked well.

I've been using the Accuride slides, and they seemingly work well.

https://www.accuride.com/en-us/produ...non-disconnect

They sell brackets in case you need to platform mount them.

https://www.accuride.com/en-us/produ...m-bracket-kits

I was also thinking some wheels but that could be tricky. You might consider the blum 30” but try adding a counter balance weight on the top back of the drawer to relieve the stress on the cantilevered area and move it to the directly attached part of the slides.

The Fulterer units are about $360. Are there any other options?
    Yes, more expensive ones !

Why sweat the cost, the customer is paying? $350 is pretty reasonable considering what it is and the fact this is a custom pantry.

If they balk at the price , that's their problem to deal with. I really hate when folks want all kinds of special design, gizmos, hand holding along with high quality .........and want it at WalMart prices.

+1 on buying a slide system designed to do exactly what you want to do. You get a very sturdy bottom slide. You get a top slide. You get a mounting scheme which has been thought out for exactly what you're doing. Trying to use standard drawer slides will be a big headache.

The generic name for those slides is "pantry slide", if you want to search for others.

I have used a couple of fixed casters, and drawer slides to keep everything in line properly. That one has been in use for something over 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I have used a couple of fixed casters, and drawer slides to keep everything in line properly. That one has been in use for something over 30 years.

Do you remember how many hours you spent engineering and then fitting that to the cabinet ?

Probably no longer than it took to find suitable slides long enough, and to decide which casters to order. It was not a broom closet, but storage in a very large island. The island had typical 2' deep cabinets on the working side, and seating on the opposite side. There was room for storage, but didn't want to get under the overhang to access what was in storage. There are three sections that each roll out on the casters, out past the edge of the seating overhang. The slides were mounted in what is normally the toe kick space.

You have to move a barstool out to pull a section out, but they're all very easy to operate, and they store things in them they only use once, or a few times a year. They really like it. You can't tell there is anything there, if you didn't know.

I don't think there was a lot more time than normal building anything else. I put the slides in place when I built the main unit, and the pull outs were mounted by pulling the slides out. I didn't even have drawings for it, past just for sizes to build from.

That Fulterer is very similar to the mechanisms used in the Kessebohmer pantry roll out frames. Only difference is the Kesse has integrated a tubular frame with hooks to receive adjustable shelves. Had to replace a 10 year old unit for a client recently, as a Delrin roller had cracked, likely due to heavy loading with canned goods and some rambunctious grandkids yanking on it a bit too forcefully.
    No replaceable mechanism anymore - totally integrated, so they had to drop $750 on an entire new frame, even though it was a single wheel that cracked. Note: 5-6 shelves need to be purchased at another ~$250 each = the whole system clears a solid $2k or better to the client.

So - based on that , I'd say you've found the best option, and that price seems in line for the level of performance. That roller set is remarkably heavy, just by itself. If you spring for it, betting you instantly realize the value of it once you pull it out of the box. Not much else out there to match that level of quality and duty rating.

However, since it is strictly broom/mop storage, you may find these are a good fit:
    https://www.rockler.com/heavy-duty-pantry-slide-system

A true pantry glide, like the Kesse or Fulterer, is meant to carry hundreds of pounds, and needs a free-wheel system for better glide under load vs. ball bearings. With brooms, you may find the above listing to be just right for performance/resistance of movement.

good luck!

jeff

I think I would definitely find a way to integrate a wheel or two into the whole setup. Folks tend to overload their pantry shelves with things like cans stacked on top of each other, big bags of rice, sugar, etc. Maybe something that drops down when the pantry is pulled out and folds back in when you push it back.