Thread: I Love Lie Neilsen

I Love Lie Neilsen

So, I bought a skewed block plane from eBay and while superficially beautiful, I could not lower the adjustment screw, the thread was bent or stripped. Putting aside the back and forth I had with the eBay seller who claimed it was perfect, I just gave up and sent it back to Lie Neilsen. Charge me what you want, its a gorgeous plane, perfect for end grain, and it's unavailable. So bill me.

To my surprise, the company fixed it without charge. This company is exceptional.
    Regards,

Tom

I had the same experience several years ago when I purchased a 164 that had been in a flood. The moveable toe was frozen. I sent it to L-N sight unseen and got it back free of charge including the return shipping completely refurbished. One of the few truly admirable companies left in Third World USA. Another is Lee Valley.

Blog Entries
    Same story with a large shoulder. It was sold with a sole that was off further than adjustment allowed. LN took it, re-ground to flat and sent back for nothing. I'm done with the "bay" on tools and grateful for LN for bailing me out of that mess.

Years ago there was a blogger named Bob Key. He bought a new Lie-Nielsen plane and as he loaded up his car to do a show demo left the boxed plane on the roof of the car. Drove off and heard it leave the car. Found the box in the gutter with a plane sized hole in it. Further searching and the destroyed plane was located. He sent the plane back to the shop asking for a repair if possible. Tom sent him a new plane FOC and the wrecked plane lives in the Lie-Nielsen show room.
    Joe

Wow ! Great stories I've avoided LN tools due to cost but after reading the above posts my next purchase is going to be from them. (I need a few decent mortise chisels) A company with that type customer service is amazing & will get my business. Over the last few years I've had CS that was about 180 degrees from that from some of the well known tool retailers it seemed to always work out but it wasn't with out a lot phone calls & emails. Anyway nice post & looking forward to getting some chisels hopefully they have em in stock.

I cannot speak highly enough about LN. Remarkable products and service. I avoid internet bickering, but when someone’s on about LN being overpriced I usually can’t help myself. I think they’re underpriced.

I can't agree more Patrick, LN staff could school other businesses on how to provide good service.

While I agree about Lie-Nielsen, Lee Valley has great after sale service, also.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.