Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Kubota got dentures... :)

Digging bar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I finally did something I should have taken advantage of years ago and put a toothbar on my little Kubota BX-22 TLB….
    Nice. My JD skid steer has a straight bucket and a bolt-on digging bar made it much more useful around the farm. Once I put it on I never took it off.

Based on that I ordered the new Kubota tracked skid steer with a factory toothed bucket. There are times when I could use a straight bucket, such as for back dragging for smoothing so I might break down and buy a straight bucket, maybe used if I can find one or just take the digging bar off the JD bucket and use it (or use the tractor bucket.) The three machines use the same skid steer mount.

I am shamefully spoiled by the new tracked skid steer - the cab model comes with a hydraulic coupler- just push a button inside the cab!!

JKJ

Nice setup, Jack. The one downside to any kind of add-on forks...like the clamp on I have or the design you use (outside of the lifting point position that I already mentioned) is that there is still the weight of the bucket involved. So for folks you really need to use forks for as close to max capacity as there is available, the quick-attach setup may still be the better solution long term. FYI, the loader model number on the Kubota represents the total KG of lift available at the pivot point for the loader bucket. The weight of the bucket plus any add-ons comes out of that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

John, which model Kubota track-steer did you get? They are really nice machines!
    --

John, which model Kubota track-steer did you get? They are really nice machines!
    I got the SVL65 in January. It’s a big step up from my JD 240 wheeled skid steer - incredible traction, plenty of power, great controls, excellent lighting for playing, er, working late! Since I’m elderly and feeble I got the cab model with heat, air, radio, and yellow jacket protection. I put a backup camera in it.

I was lucky to get one. The dealers were getting stock only rarely, people waiting months for a machine. I finally put my name on the waiting list and had it delivered in 2 days! A utility company had been waiting for months for this machine but their authorization for purchase expired just before the machine came in - the bean counters refused to release funds without reapproval from the council which would take more months so it was offered to me.

479CA943-DC22-4F9A-9D7C-D019048A42C6.jpg

So currently I’m at 6 Kubota machines. I don’t really favor one brand over another but I buy Kubotas because of the dealers, both the farm and construction equipment even though one is 50 miles away.

JKJ

That's a nice unit, John! You are correct that the dealer "is everything" when it comes to this kind of equipment. Around here, there are three really good Kubota dealers and one decent sized Deere dealership. There's a whole lot of orange on folks' properties as a result. The machinery is comparable and interchangeable...but that added support does influence buyers.
    --

Ok...following up on the Piranha tooth bar. Wow. Totally worth the $300. Cuts in great and also cuts roots. While it doesn't increase the "power" of my little machine, it sure made it more capable with digging. Those following my shop build thread will have already seen the excavation work I did over the past few days. I did need to loosen up things a bit with the backhoe for best efficiency, but still...I'd still likely only be half-way done without this toothbar on the Big Orange Power Tool. Kudos to BXpanded for their great attachments.

End result:

IMG_1384.jpg

The inverse of the hole...

IMG_1385.jpg
    --

Having teeth vs a flat bucket edge makes a world of difference when it comes to breaking up soil. I've never put one on my Kubota because I have a full size backhoe with teeth on the bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    Having teeth vs a flat bucket edge makes a world of difference when it comes to breaking up soil. I've never put one on my Kubota because I have a full size backhoe with teeth on the bucket.
    Even with a toothed bucket on the skid steer breaking up hard soil is a royal pain. I end up using three things: the excavator to break up the soil and do the rough shaping, the skid steer to move the dirt around and compact the fill, and the tractor to get things smooth. I do this for myself and a few select neighbors - not the least interested in hauling all three somewhere to do a paying job!

Great job, Jim. That's a big task, especially with small equipment! Roots are the worst.

JKJ

Fortunately, there were not many roots and down at the back side, those that were there are from River Birch and quite soft. I'll need to employ the loppers to clean up the edge before I do the geotextile and stone, but none are embedded at this point.

What was really interesting was that there was a total of three small rocks in that whole area I excavated... I mean like less than 6" in diameter and just flat ones at that.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Even with a toothed bucket on the skid steer breaking up hard soil is a royal pain. I end up using three things: the excavator to break up the soil and do the rough shaping, the skid steer to move the dirt around and compact the fill, and the tractor to get things smooth. I do this for myself and a few select neighbors - not the least interested in hauling all three somewhere to do a paying job!

Great job, Jim. That's a big task, especially with small equipment! Roots are the worst.

JKJ
    I have one section of driveway that always gets baked into what seems like cement but it also gets large potholes in the summer. The only thing that can break it up is the backhoe. It has an 18" wide bucket and the force to get the teeth into the sunbaked dirt.

What was really interesting was that there was a total of three small rocks in that whole area I excavated... I mean like less than 6" in diameter and just flat ones at that.
    You are fortunate. I often hit sizable rocks, mostly chert (in red clay).

Three times now I ran into “small” rocks while moving dirt that were like icebergs. One was just about an inch too high and by the time I got it out with the backhoe attachment on my tractor it was 3’x4’x5’. At least I could move it (skidding) with the skid steer.

Another time I decided do dig up an annoying lump preventing me from shaping a wood’s road the way I wanted it. That one turned out to be downright huge. To get it out of the ground I dug way down and made a big flat “shelf” on one side then dug a ramp on the other side so I could drive the skid steer down to the bottom of the rock. Then I was able to pry the rock up and roll and push it onto the shelf. Then I filled in the ramp to the new bottom of the rock and dug another, less deep shelf on the back side. Repeating this 3 or 4 times finally got the rock up to ground level where I could roll it down into the woods.

Anyone want a big rock or two just stop by. With a big enough truck or trailer. And maybe some big equipment for loading…

JKJ

It was weird, John, because at the old property, there were more rocks than soil. LOL I didn't even have any small ones to hold the flaps of the geotextile I installed today where I had to fold it back in the places where the auger will drill for the posts. I had to use clods of dry clay. Which have the consistency of rocks. Heh...heh...
    --

It was weird, John, because at the old property, there were more rocks than soil. LOL I didn't even have any small ones to hold the flaps of the geotextile I installed today where I had to fold it back in the places where the auger will drill for the posts. I had to use clods of dry clay. Which have the consistency of rocks. Heh...heh...
    Landscaping spikes with flagging tape work great.

The last thing I need is more rocks, well flat stackable ones would be nice but I think I grow the round ones. Last weekend's job was to pull this out of the driveway. Either it was moving up or the driveway is sinking and this rock was turning into a speed bump.

rock.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    Landscaping spikes with flagging tape work great.
    I did use the wire fasteners...but ran out of them.
    --