Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Kubota got dentures... :)

My Kubota got dentures... :)

I finally did something I should have taken advantage of years ago and put a toothbar on my little Kubota BX-22 TLB. I can think of so many things I did at the old property over the 18 years I've owned the tractor that would have benefitted. Since I have a whole bunch of ground work coming to prepare for my new shop building, it was time to actually take the plunge and put this enhancement on the BOPT. (Big Orange Power Tool)

I choose the BXpanded Piranha product based on reviews and lots and lots of helpful videos. Easy to install and unlike more traditional tooth bars for a loader bucket, it doesn't seriously compromise regular tasks. Installation took me about 15 minutes, not including gathering tools, etc, and consisted of marking for and drilling of two holes for some stout bolts. After installation was complete, I did a little "test dig" and was pretty impressed. While it certainly doesn't increase the power of my little machine, it does slice and dice soil and small roots a lot better than with just the straight edge. In fact, this particular product was designed with supporting root and brush removal as part of its wheelhouse. That front edge is a bit sharp...gloves required for install. LOL Here are some pictures relative to the install...

IMG_1172.jpg IMG_1173.jpg IMG_1174.jpg
    IMG_1175.jpg IMG_1176.jpg IMG_1177.jpg

This company has a number of great products for sub-compact and compact tractors...made in USA (most to order) and nicely designed. Despite the product line name, they really don't care what color tractor you have and prefer, too, for most products. I may get their trenching bucket, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the Ratchet Rake. It preceded the Piranha in the market. I think you will like that piece.

Jim, I've had the BXpanded tooth bar on my B7500 for a few years now and it's made a big difference in digging. I also have an area where some scrub trees pop up every year and this bar takes them out in short order, something that I couldn't do before with just the bucket straight edge. The only thing I didn't like about it is the holes being too far back for me since I once in a while fill my bucket with water for places too far for a hose to reach (I don't leave the tooth bar one all the time). So I simple drilled my holes more forward and never had a problem. You're going to enjoy using it.

John, 'glad you've had a good experience with the Piranha. It's, um...stout. I can appreciate the issue the holes present. It could be solved if really required with a set of bolts that also have a rubber washer if need be.
    --

Thanks for the link. I have a BX 2380 and see a couple of items that look really useful for me.

Rr

The attached show the Ratchet Rake. I like the sharpened tooth pattern on yours Jim. The RR is basically blunt 3/4” points and it is a 90* pattern with large and small teeth. It goes on and off in minutes. I have a tiller for my 2660 but have found that tilling a garden is a problem. the tiller blades create and almost polished sub-surface. I have run the tiller and then taken a shovel and the point hits that sub-surface and simply skids across it. I then take the hoe on the BX-23 and kinda us it as a sub-surfacer to break up that hard pan. This year I mowed the cover crop a d used the R Rake to break the surface. Perfect, no, but adequate. I’m going to modify my box blade somewhat to make a sub-soiler. The hooks I welded onto the bucket have greatly improved the safety of rigging loads. I got those from “Bolt on Hooks”. My 2660, when the mower deck is off also has a BXExpanded lower plate to protect the ridiculously exposed plastic cooling fan blades. I couldn’t have my place today if not for the tractors. I just can’t do the ground work any more. The BX’s have been excellent.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It should save a lot of wear on the weld on edge of the bucket. I have a weld on edge now I need to change, but have been putting it off. I'm planning to change it to a bolt on edge, but it's down the to-do list a ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    The attached show the Ratchet Rake. I like the sharpened tooth pattern on yours Jim. The RR is basically blunt 3/4” points and it is a 90* pattern with large and small teeth. It goes on and off in minutes. I have a tiller for my 2660 but have found that tilling a garden is a problem. the tiller blades create and almost polished sub-surface. I have run the tiller and then taken a shovel and the point hits that sub-surface and simply skids across it. I then take the hoe on the BX-23 and kinda us it as a sub-surfacer to break up that hard pan. This year I mowed the cover crop a d used the R Rake to break the surface. Perfect, no, but adequate. I’m going to modify my box blade somewhat to make a sub-soiler. The hooks I welded onto the bucket have greatly improved the safety of rigging loads. I got those from “Bolt on Hooks”. My 2660, when the mower deck is off also has a BXExpanded lower plate to protect the ridiculously exposed plastic cooling fan blades. I couldn’t have my place today if not for the tractors. I just can’t do the ground work any more. The BX’s have been excellent.
    My plan will be to do the actual "digging" using the backhoe as it will both break things up as well as let me work my points for level with the rotary laser without having to take bigger bites. The backhoe by nature has a lot of breakout force available with bucket curl, even on our small machines. Mine actually lives on the tractor...I no longer even own any 3-pt implements as I sold them off prior to moving. (Sadly to Bill Grumbine to use on a new property in WV and who subsequently passed away)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    It should save a lot of wear on the weld on edge of the bucket. I have a weld on edge now I need to change, but have been putting it off. I'm planning to change it to a bolt on edge, but it's down the to-do list a ways.
    These folks can make their tooth bar to pretty much any size necessary and with only two bolts, on/off can be very quick if needed. Price is really good, too.

---
    Another firm that has some interesting products for smaller tractors is https://bxattachments.com/. Also made in USA.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fritz View Post
    Thanks for the link. I have a BX 2380 and see a couple of items that look really useful for me.
    Make sure you select the correct products for the 80 series from any of these companies if there is differentiation as my understanding is that there were some changes to the FEL on the 80 series. That affects the quick attach from AI2, if I'm not mistaken.
    --

I noticed they listed the quick attach bucket separately. When I order I'll most likely call and have my manual in hand. I'm interested in bucket forks and the hooks to attach chains to. I like the idea they can be removed when not needed as i don't need something else to get hung up in the brush. Sometimes I wish I had more lifting power but realize I'm probably better off not having it. Safer that way. I have a neighbor with a bobcat and he will come over and remove anything I can't. All it costs me is a bottle of Korbel at Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I finally did something I should have taken advantage of years ago and put a toothbar on my little Kubota BX-22 TLB. I can think of so many things I did at the old property over the 18 years I've owned the tractor that would have benefitted. Since I have a whole bunch of ground work coming to prepare for my new shop building, it was time to actually take the plunge and put this enhancement on the BOPT. (Big Orange Power Tool)

I choose the BXpanded Piranha product based on reviews and lots and lots of helpful videos. Easy to install and unlike more traditional tooth bars for a loader bucket, it doesn't seriously compromise regular tasks. Installation took me about 15 minutes, not including gathering tools, etc, and consisted of marking for and drilling of two holes for some stout bolts. After installation was complete, I did a little "test dig" and was pretty impressed. While it certainly doesn't increase the power of my little machine, it does slice and dice soil and small roots a lot better than with just the straight edge. In fact, this particular product was designed with supporting root and brush removal as part of its wheelhouse. That front edge is a bit sharp...gloves required for install. LOL Here are some pictures relative to the install...

This company has a number of great products for sub-compact and compact tractors...made in USA (most to order) and nicely designed. Despite the product line name, they really don't care what color tractor you have and prefer, too, for most products. I may get their trenching bucket, too.
    Congrats, the Piranhas are great, back hoe attachments quite slick as well. I run a Kubota primarily for winter snow throwing with a very long driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fritz View Post
    I noticed they listed the quick attach bucket separately. When I order I'll most likely call and have my manual in hand. I'm interested in bucket forks and the hooks to attach chains to. I like the idea they can be removed when not needed as i don't need something else to get hung up in the brush. Sometimes I wish I had more lifting power but realize I'm probably better off not having it. Safer that way. I have a neighbor with a bobcat and he will come over and remove anything I can't. All it costs me is a bottle of Korbel at Christmas.
    Dave, one of the "secrets" of using your BX FEL effectively is having a lot of weight on the back of the tractor. The Backhoe on my BX-22 serves that purpose at about 600 lbs. It provides both load balancing as well as a huge kick up on traction, especially when digging with the FEL. These little machines are very capable when you think things through and work at the pace they are able to maintain. What's really nice is that you don't have to baby them...you can work them hard and they love it

A front quick attach would absolutely be on my list if I still owned the bigger property. I use add-on forks now, but the weight limit is compromised because the load is so far forward. With the Quick Attach, the weight is back where the bucket would have been and you can get nearly full capacity.
    --

Blog Entries
    Well that adds another level to my loader envy. I have teeth for my box blade, I call them "The Anchor" or "The Parking Brake". When they are down the tractor refuses to move.
    Best Regards, Maurice

A front quick attach would absolutely be on my list if I still owned the bigger property. I use add-on forks now, but the weight limit is compromised because the load is so far forward. With the Quick Attach, the weight is back where the bucket would have been and you can get nearly full capacity.
    Makes perfect sense, thank you.,
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-30-2022 at 10:12 AM. Reason: added quote tags

Forks

Dave, these are the forks for my BX’s 2”x.019 riser with a pretty heavy 3” channel. I thought I would need to weld some gussets at the bottom of the 2” but have not had any problem as they are shown. The BX buckets return lip on the top grabs the 1x6” blk nipple and two pieces of angle iron back to back. I have used these for years and they have been excellent. I can move them for about any spread I want. Simple on and off and not so heavy to pose a problem handling. Notice on the hooks I welded on that I put them up on a piece of the 3” channel. I raised them so any chain I attach will pull just above the return Kubota rolls on the BX buckets. If the hooks sat lower it would deform that return and make my forks inop. As Jim said, BX’s are very effective and safe, when you use your head. tractor repairs are costly so I try to avoid them by not pushing the machines to far.
    Attached Images Attached Images